READING || October 2019

Friday, November 1, 2019
books read:
~ The Warden (Chronicles of Barsetshire #1)by Anthony Trollope [VICTOBER]
~ Godsgrave (The Nevernight Chronicle #2) by Jay Kristoff (reread)
~ The Importance of Being Earnest by Oscar Wilde [VICTOBER]
~ Indistractable by Nir Eyal (review)
~ Happy Ever After by Paul Dolan [Netgalley] (review)
~ Wilding by Isabella Tree
~ Tilly & the Bookwanderers (Pages & Co. #1) by Anna James
~ The Tea Dragon Festival (Tea Dragon #2) by Katie O'Neill (reread)
~ Awakening the Buddha Within by Lama Surya Das (reread)
~ Our Mutual Friend by Charles Dickens [VICTOBER]
~ A Woman of No Importance by Oscar Wilde [VICTOBER]
~ The Sleep Revolution by Arianna Huffington
~ The Storm Crow (The Storm Crow #1) by Kalyn Josephson [Netgalley] (goodreads review)

DNFs in October:
~ Wild Horses of the Summer Sun by Tory Bilski [DNF @ 10%]

currently reading:
~ Putting the Science in Fiction edited by Dan Koboldt [Netgalley]
~ The Abundance of Less by Andy Couturier (reread)


Huh. So, I am feeling super exhausted, so I'm going to split everything into categories and just say a few words about each. Enjoy.

VICTOBER: I wanted to read at least one more piece of Victorian literature this month, but honestly, I stalled so hard on Our Mutual Friend, but refused to be beaten, so I spent a lot of the month on that. I really enjoyed everything I read, despite the delay, and I am so excited to start reading more Victorian literature in the future.




Review/Netgalley books: Two of the review books I read this month have been reviewed (and linked above), and both of those were nonfiction. I quite enjoyed both, even though they each had little issues, and I am so glad to have gotten them read. The Storm Crow was a bit of a surprise for me - I've been working through my *slightly ridiculous* backlog of Netgalley books and decided to give this one a shot, and I absolutely loved it. There were a few tropey things happening, and I wasn't sure the mental health rep was quite what it needed to be, but otherwise I really enjoyed my time with it and am eagerly awaiting the sequel!

Rereads: I seem to be rereading a lot lately, but I'm definitely not mad about it. I reread three things this month, though one of them - Awakening the Buddha Within - was one that I had been reading for months now, as I read a little bit each morning to try and set the tone for my day. The others: Godsgrave was reread in preparation for reading Darkdawn, the final book in that trilogy, and one that I own now but haven't gotten around to yet. Soon, soon. The Tea Dragon Festival was reread because... well, I don't really need a reason, but I reread it because I finally got my own copy and hadn't seen it in physical copy yet and just fell in love all over again. Katie O'Neill is a treasure.




Library books: Everything that hasn't been mentioned in other categories (and, actually, some that have) were borrowed out of the library and read just because I was interested. Wilding was fascinating, and gave me a lot of food for thought about ecosystems and whether they actually "need" any human intervention; The Sleep Revolution was really wonderful and interesting, and also terrifying, given that research indicates being overtired/not getting enough sleep is kind of equivalent to being drunk, and yet we praise people who run on too little sleep, or who sacrifice sleep for work; and, finally, Tilly and the Bookwanderers was just a delightful treat: reassuring, beautiful, and ideal for children's classics lovers (think books like Alice in Wonderland, The Little Princess, Anne of Green Gables, etc.). I am so so glad that I read it, and I have the sequel out of the library right now and am hoping to dive in very soon.




Well, a little longer than I planned, but yay for talking about books being slightly energising! :P Anyway, I hope you all had a lovely October, and that November is even lovelier.

Love to all who read.

0 whisperings:

Post a Comment

All content owned by Bethwyn Walker unless otherwise stated. Powered by Blogger.

books | chronic illness | lifestyle | wellbeing

Powered by Blogger.
Back to Top