READING || April 2019

Wednesday, May 1, 2019
books read:
~ Legendary (Caraval #2) by Stephanie Garber
~ Icefall by Stephanie Gunn (review)
~ My Brother's Husband by Gengoroh Tegami
~ Revenant Gun (The Machineries of Empire #3) by Yoon Ha Lee
~ Defy the Fates (Constellation #3) by Claudia Gray (review)
~ The Little Grey Girl (Wild Magic Trilogy #2) by Celine Kiernan (review)
~ It's Not About the Burqa edited by Mariam Khan (review)
~ A Conjuring of Light (Shades of Magic #3) by V. E. Schwab (Tome Topple)
~ Wild Comfort by Kathleen Dean Moore
~ The Outrun by Amy Liptrot
~ Lord of Shadows (The Dark Artifices #2) by Cassandra Clare (Tome Topple)
~ The Badger by Ernest Neal

currently reading:
~ Wabi Sabi by Beth Kempton (reread)
~ Nocturna (A Forgery of Magic #1) by Maya Motayne

So, what you don't see above in my 'books read' category is all the books I DNF'd this month. (For those who aren't sure, DNF means 'did not finish'. And yes, it is now used as a verb, adjective... it's easier that saying 'I gave up on this book' a lot.) At the beginning of the month, I was reading a bunch of things that just weren't inspiring me or making me feel muc except...lethargy. And maybe a little resentment. I realised that these books just weren't for me, and gave myself permission to give up on them. How many did I DNF this month? Five. And some of them were pretty huge books, so I'm glad I realised that I didn't want to slog through them for however-many-hours they would need. I think I will do this more. I'd rather read books that make me super interested to pick them up.

Only one manga this month, but that was for the manga book club on Instagram and it was absolutely brilliant. SO many awesome messages and though-provoking conversations. Hard at times for me to get through simply because there is so much emotion there, but worth it for sure. (Talking about My Brother's Husband by Gengoroh Tegami.)

I also took part in the Tome Topple Readathon this month, which lasted two weeks from the 13th to the 26th. The idea with this one is to only read books over 500 pages long -> tomes. I actually had about ten tomes on my physical tbr which fit this description, which surprised me. Perhaps I've been putting them off because of their sheer size? Either way, I lined up two that I thought I could get through and felt excited about taking part. And then the first one I picked up was a DNF. I find this kind of hilarious, but also I don't feel too fussed about it. I instead picked up the second book I had earmarked for the readathon - A Conjuring of Light - and read that, and then grabbed Lord of Shadows and read that, too. In the end I read over 1300 pages which was pretty awesome. I was also reading other, smaller books in between, so I got through quite a bit! I hope I can participate in the next round of this readathon.

Books that stood out this month? Without a doubt, Revenant Gun by Yoon Ha Lee. This trilogy is just fantastic and I adored every minute, even when I was super confused. Icefall by Stephanie Gunn was also fantastic, and I really loved all the nature-based books I read this month: Wild Comfort, The Outrun, and The Badger. (How was I not going to love reading about badgers?! Although I could really do without the badger baiting and hunting/digging. Sigh.)

Oh, also, Legendary by Stephanie Garber was a heck of a ride. The final book in the trilogy - Finale - comes out in May and I am pretty darn excited. Can't wait to get my hands on it! (I've preordered it. I do this so rarely!)

What have you been reading this month? Do you feel like you avoid big books just because the size is intimidating? I'd love to hear!

Love to all who read.

0 whisperings:

Post a Comment

All content owned by Bethwyn Walker unless otherwise stated. Powered by Blogger.

books | chronic illness | lifestyle | wellbeing

Powered by Blogger.
Back to Top