Reading // October 2018

Thursday, November 1, 2018
Guess who is actually on time (and not over a month late) to posting their reading wrap-up post this month? I actually managed to remember that this is a thing I sometimes do. Ten thousand sparkle points to me and on with the post!

books read:
~ Ashling (The Obernewtyn Chronicles #3) by Isobelle Carmody
~ Homecoming by Robin Hobb
~ Franklin's Flying Bookshop by Jen Campbell, illustrated by Katie Harnett
~ Franklin and Luna Go to the Moon by Jen Campbell, illustrated by Katie Harnett
~ Don't Call Us Dead by Danez Smith
~ Defy the Stars (Constellation #1) by Claudia Gray
~ Natsume's Book of Friends vol. 1, 2, and 3 by Yuki Midorikawa
~ A Darker Shade of Magic (Shades of Magic #1) by V. E. Schwab
~ Slow by Brooke McAlary (reread)
~ Eat Your Greens by Pete Evans (review coming soon!)
~ Children of Time by Adrian Tchaikovsky

currently reading:
~ A Gathering of Shadows (Shades of Magic #2) by V. E. Schwab
~ Blackwood (Perth Shifters #1) by Pia Foxhall (review)
~ I'll Be There For You: The One About Friends by Kelsey Miller (review)
~ An Absolutely Remarkable Thing by Hank Green


A relatively slow month for me (no, really! a lot of the books I've read are manga/cookbooks/picture books which I could finish in an hour or two, quite leisurely). Mostly this was due to being pretty darn sick this month - I suspect a delayed reaction to moving house and also serious weather change magicks happening (is it a repeat Autumn here, or maybe it's Spring? Who really knows!)

Either way, there were a few things that really stood out to me.

Homecoming was the first of the Robin Hobb shorts in a project that Katharine of ventureadlaxre and I have embarked upon together - I swear I will do an announcement post of that sometime soon! For now, have a link to her announcement post, with accompanying details!

I have wanted to read Jen Campbell's picture books ever since I heard she was writing them, and I am so glad one of the libraries I am a member of got some copies in - they were everything I wanted and more - Katie Harnett's illustrations are a delight, and the story just made me heart breathe a happy sigh.

Defy the Stars was one that I just grabbed out after watching booktuber ReadywithCindy chat about how much she really liked the relationship between the main characters - and then I proceeded to devour it in about three days. I really loved it, and have since borrowed out the second book... and am barely restraining myself from starting it (as you can see above, I am reading quite a few things at the moment!).

Finally, let's talk A Darker Shade of Magic. My aforementioned dear friend, Katharine, absolutely loves V. E. Schwab's writing, and I follow the author on instagram and love her as a person, but have not always been as passionate about her writing (granted, I have only read one book by her...). Katharine seems to have made it her personal goal to get me to read and fall in love with her writing now, and... well... she succeeded. I admit that I have been missing out. Dear Katharine, if you are reading this, thank you. I have almost finished book two at this point, and am so excited (and terrified) to get to book three. Anoshe. I submit to the greater wisdom of my fellow book blogger.

Anyway, that's October! What have you been reading? I would love to know!

Love to all who read!

0 whisperings:

Post a Comment

All content owned by Bethwyn Walker unless otherwise stated. Powered by Blogger.

books | chronic illness | lifestyle | wellbeing

Powered by Blogger.
Back to Top