Reading // May 2018

Saturday, June 2, 2018
books read:
~ My Lady's Choosing: An Interactive Romance Novel by Kitty Curran and Larissa Zageris (review)
~ Brazen: Revel Ladies Who Rocked the World by Penelope Bagieu (review)
~ A Court of Wings and Ruin (A Court of Thorns and Roses #3) by Sarah J. Maas
~ A Court of Frost and Starlight (A Court of Thorns and Roses #3.1) by Sarah J. Maas
~ Please Look After Mom by Kyung-Sook Shin
~ Sapiens: A Brief History of Humankind by Yuval Noah Harari
~ When the Moon was Ours by Anna-Marie McLemore (TBR)
~ This One Summer by Mariko Tamaki and Jillian Tamaki (review)
~ The Running Sky by Tim Dee (TBR)
~ Remarkable Birds by Mark Avery (TBR)
~ Provenance by Ann Leckie (TBR)
~ The Girl of Ink and Stars by Kiran Millwood Hargrave (TBR)
~ Tales of Little Brown Mouse by Alison Uttley (TBR)
~ Jane Seymour: The Haunted Queen by Alison Weir (review)
~ The Tea Dragon Society by Katie O'Neill
~ Pick Three by Randi Zuckerberg (review)
~ Cicada by Shaun Tan (review)


currently reading:
~ Too Like the Lightning (Terra Ignota #1) by Ada Palmer (TBR)
~ Spinning Silver by Naomi Novik (review)

Phew, writing all the books out that I read this month too some work! My fingers are sore - also, it's cold and I get a lot of joint pain lately, so that could be part of the reason...

Anyway, I am really pleased with how much I read this month! I am actually surprised. I knew I was reading a lot, but didn't think it was this much! You may notice that quite a few of the books have TBR in brackets next to them - these are books that have been sitting on my physical TBR shelf waiting to be read. I finally made the decision this month that I would always try to be reading at least one review book and one TBR book at one time (yes, I am a serial reader), because I am often really excited to get to my TBR books but just never make the time to get to them - and I really want to! Super pleased to have read six TBR books this month - hopefully that will continue into June!

Okay, honourable mentions for the month. Please Look After Mom was a book I heard about on Booktube and decided to pick up from the library randomly - it was actually really immersive and I loved the writing style, and I really feel that I don't read enough translated work, so definitely want to check out more by this author.
The Running Sky was delightful - a birthday present from last year from a dear friend - and reminded my why I love Nature Writing so much. Looking forward to the Wainwright Prize shortlist announcement in July!
Jane Seymour: The Haunted Queen was a surprise love of the month - I love some historical fiction in the colder weather, and got swept away with this one. Definitely want to read the others in the Tudor Queens series.
And finally, The Tea Dragon Society by Katie O'Neill absolutely has my heart. I loved every minute of this webcomic, and I kind of want to read it again already. So sweet and wonderful and diverse and beautiful and ARGH. Just loved it so much. (Psst! You can read it here!)

Oh, I will just mention Cicada, too, because I adore Shaun Tan's work and this was no different. His art is beautiful, his messages are heartbreaking and yet hopeful, and receiving Cicada for review is one of the highlights of my book reviewing life to date. I feel so lucky to be able to review books.

What are you reading lately? Interested in any of the books I mentioned?

Love to all who read.

0 whisperings:

Post a Comment

All content owned by Bethwyn Walker unless otherwise stated. Powered by Blogger.

books | chronic illness | lifestyle | wellbeing

Powered by Blogger.
Back to Top