Is it a reading slump if I just *can't* read?

Wednesday, May 25, 2016
For those that know me or follow me on instagram, you will know that I have the flu at the moment and have been struggling with it for some time. Yesterday I finally admitted that I needed rest and, after seeing the doctor and doing the grocery shopping with Xin, I came home and went to bed, and barely got up again for the rest of the day.

And, here's the thing, I was bored.

It has been a long time since I have been bored - there is always something for me to be doing, watching, and especially, reading.  But the problem with having the flu on top of all of my other usual stuff is that brain fog becomes a huge monster that I cannot overcome, and my concentration is severely affected.

I am having trouble even writing this right now because my fever is trying to mangle my words and my eyes don't want to focus.

What felt most frustrating and upsetting about all of this is that I want to read, but I just can't do it. I am currently reading the Mary Russell series of books by Laurie R. King, and absolutely loving them, and to be cut off from that so firmly is something I am having trouble dealing with.

Reading is actually one of the most important things in my life, and I have often speculated to myself that, were I to lose my sight, I would probably be left completely bereft. Sure, I can turn to audiobooks, but it wouldn't be the same as being lost in the world of text, your own imagination conjuring all that is amazing within your own mind.

So, no, I am not calling this a reading slump, because often I find with reading slumps I actually don't really want to read, so this is just a temporary (TEMPORARY) hiccough.

What remains, unfortunately, is the fact that something I value so much is now kind of distant to me, and that leaves me feeling sad and wondering at the state of my world if reading isn't within it.

Is there anything that you couldn't bear to be without? How do you feel about reading?

Love to all who (ha) read.

0 whisperings:

Post a Comment

All content owned by Bethwyn Walker unless otherwise stated. Powered by Blogger.

books | chronic illness | lifestyle | wellbeing

Powered by Blogger.
Back to Top