May 2015 Reading Plans - Result

Tuesday, June 2, 2015
Okay, I assigned myself three books off of my shelf to get through in May - aside from my normal reading - and it has been a success! I read all three during the course of the month. And they were all quite good! It seems that my purchasing of books is actually not too ill-considered at times.
Anyway, I thought that I would list the books below and give a little mini-review of my thoughts for your reading leisure! I am hoping to construct another list for June very soon, so I will put that up when it is ready.

Vicious by V.E. Schwab



I started off my required reading with one that I have been eyeing off for some time now, and I have to admit that it actually took me a while to get into this one. I am not sure why, to be honest. I think I just wasn't really sure what was happening for a little while, and the characters seemed to have been created for the soul purpose of being confusing for a couple of chapters. But I couldn't deny that it was well-written, and by about halfway through I was absolutely hooked. The story was weird, the characters were kooky and dark, and I loved every bit of it. I am quite prepared to jump on the Victoria Schwab bandwagon now, and would like to read all the other things by her, please.

Tin Star by Cecil Castellucci



I actually had a few sleepless nights during May and on one of those nights decided to get out of bed, settle into my reading chair, and read my cares away for a while - I wasn't doing much sleeping anyway! During that night I finished Vicious and made a decent start on Tin Star and, since it was actually quite short, ended up finishing it later that day. (I also finished an ebook that day, too. It was a good reading day really.)
Tin Star is definitely a different read to your typical YA - and I would probably class it as YA Sci-Fi/Fantasy. The main character, Tula, is actually a very distant and cold narrator, but I felt so much of what she felt, and the character creation was just amazing. Castellucci did an amazing job of making me care about many different alien life-forms, and she also made me see the bizarreness of humans, which was amazing. I will definitely be picking up the sequel to this book as soon as I can get my hands on it.


Deep Blue by Jennifer Donnelly



I started Deep Blue shortly after finishing Tin Star, but actually put it down for a little while during the month, and didn't pick it back up again until the end. This wasn't because it wasn't good - I actually thought the world-building was amazing and very enjoyable. The characters were interesting and served their purpose, but I actually felt that they fell flat for me occasionally - it felt like a few stereotypical YA characters had been rinsed off, transformed into mermaids and mermen, and then sent into this book to do what needed to be done. I would have appreciated a little more depth to some of the characters, and I actually felt like some of the characters are just thrown at you and you need to just accept that they are now integral to the story and all that happens within it, without really knowing them that well at all. Perhaps more back stories will be explored in the second book, and I may pick that up just to see, but I may take a break for a while first.


And that's all the books I assigned myself for May! I am actually pretty pleased at how well this experiment went, and so I am excited about doing it again for June. I will try and have my Reading Plans for June post up tomorrow so you can see what I am up to! Maybe if I get enough interest from readers I will start posting a poll of a few books I own that you can vote on, and then one that wins the most votes will be read - what do you think? Let me know if you would like to see that in future posts!

Love to all who read.

0 whisperings:

Post a Comment

All content owned by Bethwyn Walker unless otherwise stated. Powered by Blogger.

books | chronic illness | lifestyle | wellbeing

Powered by Blogger.
Back to Top