Book Review: The Sculptor by Scott McCloud

Tuesday, February 3, 2015
I love reading. Books are amazing. They are a form of escapism, yes, but they are also inspiration, joy, and... well. Goodness. I think in some ways I have used my appetite for reading to define parts of my personality, so it made sense for me to review some of what I read! Here we go...


Title: The Sculptor
Author: Scott McCloud
Publication Date: February 3rd 2015

Synopsis: "David Smith is giving his life for his art - literally. Thanks to a deal with Death, the young sculptor gets his childhood wish: to sculpt anything he can imagine with his bare hands. But now that he only has 200 days to live, deciding what to create is harder than he thought. And discovering the love of his life at the eleventh hour isn't making it any easier."

My thoughts: Wow. Just wow.
I requested a review copy of this book from First Second after reading the synopsis, thinking it sounded like an interesting premise. When it turned up on my doorstep, I was thrown by the size of it - this graphic novel has almost 500 pages of amazing artwork and moving story. I picked it up that day and... I was gone.

It took me a long time to get through this beast, but I emerged wanting to turn straight back to the start and read it again - to look deeper into the expressions on each of the characters faces as they made each decision (particularly David's face when he made his deal with Death) and to watch more closely as things played out.

The art in this is wonderful - a blend between simple and complex (especially when looking at expression of emotions and tense scenes) - using a lovely palette of black, white, and different shades of blue. Some of the scenes are so intricate and beautiful that I find myself staring at them even now as I flip through for this review, and I think that says a lot about the hold that this book already has over me.

I want to go more into the story of this and discuss it in-depth, but I also really don't want to give anything away because I think this is one of those books that you have to read and experience for yourself - whatever form that experience takes. In case you can't tell, I highly recommend you pick this up. I should note here, though, that this is not for youngsters or a light-hearted read - it contains sex scenes, violence, and a little bit of gore. Just letting you know.


I received an advanced reader's edition of this book from First Second Books (thank youuu!).

You would like this book if: You enjoy amazing graphic novels that take the work to the next level; you like reading something a bit different, with a solid plot and awesome characters.

Rating:  10/10

If you'd like to keep up to date with what I'm reading, follow me on Goodreads here!

0 whisperings:

Post a Comment

All content owned by Bethwyn Walker unless otherwise stated. Powered by Blogger.

books | chronic illness | lifestyle | wellbeing

Powered by Blogger.
Back to Top