Book Review: Rift Runners Trilogy by Jennifer Fallon

Friday, September 26, 2014
I love reading. Books are amazing. They are a form of escapism, yes, but they are also inspiration, joy, and... well. Goodness. I think in some ways I have used my appetite for reading to define parts of my personality, so it made sense for me to review some of what I read! Here we go...





Title: The Rift Runners Trilogy - The Undivided, The Dark Divide, Reunion.
Author: Jennifer Fallon
Series: The Rift Runners Trilogy

Synopsis: Book One blurb - "The Undivided are divided.
The psychic twins Ronan and Darragh have been separated by a traitor Druid, Amergin, who has thrown Ronan through a rift into another reality. Now time is running out for Darragh. If Ronan isn't found soon, they will both die.
Meanwhile, Ren Kavanagh has no notion of where he comes from and is plagued by mysterious injuries. Then he meets the enticing and mysterious Trasa.
Ren's life is about to become more bizarre and dangerous than he could ever have imagined."

My thoughts: I had to read these a little out of order, as the third book was nominated for the Aurealis Awards last year (please note that anything I say about the third book should be taken as my own opinion, not a reflection of the panel from last year) and I then received the first two for review from Harper Collins. It took me a long time to get around to reading them all.

Some of the ideas in this trilogy are fantastic, and Fallon clearly has a very lyrical way of writing, but these books just didn't sit right with me. I felt like there were too many things going on - too many different worlds trying to be joined (figuratively and literally within the story). This led to overwhelming amount of information in all the books, which didn't really help the books or the trilogy overall to flow terribly well.

I did really want to like this trilogy - I've heard good things about Jennifer Fallon and I thought this would be a good opportunity to get into her books, but I just don't think this was the right one to start with. I have been told by a few different people that her other books are much better than these, so I am not giving up on her as an author as yet. I think these books would probably suit fans of her work a little more, as they may be able to work through the info dumps more effectively and understand the thread of the story a little better.

I wish I could say more about the trilogy overall, but I just found myself really confused during the books as to what was happening to whom, and who was doing what. I'm sure there are readers out there that could bring much more meaning to this series, but I'm not one of them.


I received copies of these books for review from Harper Collins.

You would like this book if: you like Jennifer Fallon's writing.

Rating:  5/10

If you'd like to keep up to date with what I'm reading, follow me on Goodreads here!

0 whisperings:

Post a Comment

All content owned by Bethwyn Walker unless otherwise stated. Powered by Blogger.

books | chronic illness | lifestyle | wellbeing

Powered by Blogger.
Back to Top