July: Month of Hibernation

Wednesday, July 9, 2014


I was just reading a blog post by one of my favourite bloggers, Havi (find her blog here) and she has recently taken herself off to one of her favourite relaxing locations to restore her energy and remember how to function without stress, and I got to thinking about how I was feeling lately, and what I want and need right now.

The short version is this: I am doing better with my health lately, but I have just started a week with a pretty crazy amount of period pain. I have a lot of reading I want to catch up on before the Aurealis Awards nominations start coming in, and then I will have more to read when that happens. The weather is crazy, and I won't be back at uni until the beginning of August. I want to write more, and I want to keep going well with Camp NaNoWriMo this month. I have just embarked on six weeks of the low FODMAP diet.

Basically, I am not feeling overwhelmed, but I can see it on the horizon. I can see it coming, and I don't really want to go down that path.

So, in the spirit of looking after myself, I am declaring July to be my month of hibernation. I am going to focus on lovely things like writing, reading, soft nests, warmth. Watching the rain fall outside my window. Tea and other hot drinks next to the fire. Naps and long baths with delicious bath salts and bubbles. Cuddles with Xin and Bronte. And, you know what? The occasional gift for myself. I have bought myself a few books, and I am eyeing off a new bag. I want to start sketching a bit more and enjoy it. Maybe even do some watercolours!

Whatever I do, I want it to be gentle and slow. I want to remember to rest and treat myself the way I need to be treated right now.

If you need a bit of hibernation and bear-like (or any other lovely hibernating creature) activities, why not take a rain-check on that outing you're dreading and stay home for a bubble bath and a good book? Treat yourself to some rest during the middle of winter.

Love to all who read.

0 whisperings:

Post a Comment

All content owned by Bethwyn Walker unless otherwise stated. Powered by Blogger.

books | chronic illness | lifestyle | wellbeing

Powered by Blogger.
Back to Top