{2014} April Reading

Thursday, May 1, 2014
I decided at the end of last year that I wanted to start writing a blog at the end of each month just talking about what I'd read that month, etc., in the style of Nick Hornby. Hornby has put out a few books that combine his columns for The Believer magazine, and I love his style and how it gives him a chance to get his thoughts together. It's also an excellent way to look back and notice how much has been spent on books! So that's what I will plan to do... wish me luck!

Books bought:
~Korean phrasebook
~Daily Rituals by Mason Currey
~S by J.J. Abrams and Doug Dorst
~ Eleanor and Park by Rainbow Rowell

Books acquired:
~My Darling Lemon Thyme by Emma Galloway (for review)
~ Dreams of Gods and Monsters by Laini Taylor (ordered last month)
~ Attachments by Rainbow Rowell (gift from a dear friend)

Books read:
~Daughter of Smoke and Bone by Laini Taylor (re-read)
~Days of Blood and Starlight by Laini Taylor (re-read)
~ Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell (re-read)
~ Tarnished Knight by Bec McMaster
~ IDEA33 by Sheala Dawn Henke (review)
~ My Darling Lemon Thyme by Emma Galloway (review)
~ Dreams of Gods and Monsters by Laini Taylor
~ The Winner's Curse by Marie Rutkowski
~ The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch
~ The Collected Works of A. J. Fikry by Gabrielle Zevin
~ Things Fall Apart by Chinua Achebe
~ The 13 1/2 Lives of Captain Bluebear by Walter Moers
~ Daily Rituals by Mason Currey


I managed to slowly climb out of the slump this month by re-reading a few books that I loved previously - and yes, that means I've read Fangirl twice in the past two months. I was feeling a bit low towards the start of the month and so decided to pick it up once more - I had been missing the characters. I have to say, it was still amazing the second time round.

Much of the start of this month was either preparation for the third (and final) book of the Daughter of Smoke and Bone trilogy by Laini Taylor, or getting a few review books read. It feels good to be reviewing books again and I have to say I still enjoy it immensely.

I feel like this month was fairly reflective of my reading habits the majority of the time - a couple of review books, the odd literary piece on recommendation from someone (Things Fall Apart was covered by John Green in Crash Course Literature Two, and I just couldn't resist reading it...), and then a boatload of fantasy. Of all different kinds. Granted, Fangirl is not fantasy, but the main character within it writes fanfiction about a fantasy series, so....

I feel pretty good about this list - it feels like a fairly good number. I want to read more and more stuff before the Aurealis Awards kick in again (if I'm lucky enough to be picked to judge again) and I am a bit overtaken by nominations. I'm hoping to get a few more reviews done too... As always, reading seems to be one of my main distractions and rewards when it comes to getting study done...

Currently I am reading Attachments, S, Toyo (Lily Chan), and Behind the Beautiful Forevers (Katherine Boo). I seem to keep wanting to read more and more! I think it's the cooler weather... such perfect temperatures for fuzzy jumpers, hotpacks, tea, and a good book (or four). What are you reading right now?

0 whisperings:

Post a Comment

All content owned by Bethwyn Walker unless otherwise stated. Powered by Blogger.

books | chronic illness | lifestyle | wellbeing

Powered by Blogger.
Back to Top