A Tiny Triumphant Return : A Little of What I've Read Lately

Friday, March 18, 2022

Hello! Bethwyn here. I find it hard to slip back in to the way that I write blog posts, it feels somewhat strange to me now, like I knew the language before and now it's... sort-of there, and sort-of not. I hope that if you're reading this, you'll bear with me as I figure some things out.

Anyway! Here we are together again, and I'd like to just take a bit of time to chat about some review books I read towards the end of last year. So here we go! A round-up of three books I've read, and what I thought of them.


Midnight in Everwood by M. A. Kuzniar

This one took me a little by surprise. I had seen a couple of people mention it, and so I went in knowing it was something of a Nutcracker retelling. I have to admit - I'm not that familiar with the story of the Nutcracker, but I am now intrigued by it. I found this to be gloriously descriptive, and something about that just made me giddy every time I read it - some stuff happens that feels awfully convenient at times, and some of the characters feel like they deserved more explanation, more growth, and just generally more - but overall I found this to be a lyrical and exciting read, and plan to revisit it around Christmas this year to see if my thoughts still hold.

7.5/10 dancers in the snow.
goodreads
The Righteous by Renee Ahdieh (The Beautiful #3)
Okay. Hmmm. This one. It has been a little time since I read this, but a few things still stand out in my mind about this one. I really loved The Beautiful, and somewhat loved The Damned. I was still excited to pick this one up, though, as I quite like the characters and found the writing to be beautiful and rich.
In this installation, I found that I *loved* the parts about Arjun and Pippa - their romance and how it stopped and started, the slow burn, the attempts at trying to understand each other and also trust each other in such a terrifying and threatening environment... All of that was great and I loved it. Unfortunately what let this book down for me was the visits back to other characters - particularly our previous leads, Bastien and Celine, whom I really liked from the previous books. For whatever reason, in these ones I just found their story distracting and wanted to get back to Pippa and Arjun. It made for a frustrating read, at times.

5.5/10 gates to the land of the Fae.


Winston and the Indoor Cat by Leila Rudge

Ahh ending on a high, and something a little lighter, with this utterly gorgeous picture book.
Here's something not many people know - my partner and I like to read to each other in bed sometimes, and we mostly read children's books to each other - often ones I've gotten for review, although we are slowly making our way through the Narnia books, too.
This one was just an absolute delight from start to finish - the illustrations are just lovely, and the story reminded me very much of the story of the Country Mouse and the Town Mouse, except... well... cats
An absolutely gorgeous book that I think I will revisit whenever I need a moment of calm.

10/10 kitties with excellent sleeping spots.



And that's it for now! It's nice to be back, honestly. I am also a bit more active over on my bookstagram (@badgerbeebooks) so please do drop by to see some nice photos of books! 

I hope everyone is doing as well as possible, and my love to all who read. <3





0 whisperings:

Post a Comment

All content owned by Bethwyn Walker unless otherwise stated. Powered by Blogger.

books | chronic illness | lifestyle | wellbeing

Powered by Blogger.
Back to Top