Sunday, July 22, 2012

Tea Review: English Breakfast [T2 and Twinings]

So, here's the deal. I love tea. I love how it can help with an upset tummy, soothe a sore throat, put you to sleep or pep you up. It can even just be a general calmer. 
In Tea Reviews I will give you a few details of the tea, an overall rating, and some thoughts. If you see something you like, I encourage you to go and try the tea yourself! I'll often try and let you know where you can buy it or provide a link.
Enjoy!
(Psst! If you want me to review a specific tea, just comment and let me know! If you can provide a sample, that would be great too! <3)


English Breakfast

(Image Source: 1)

Initial thoughts: I might find it hard to play the impartial tea reviewer with this one because I have been drinking English Breakfast for as long as I can remember. This is such a comforting tea for me, especially with sugar and milk.

Taste: English Breakfast has often been described as having a strong flavour, but this isn't over-assertive (provided you don't steep for too long). The flavour is a little astringent, but comforting. When served with milk and sugar, it tastes almost caramel-like to me. 

Colour: A deep caramel.

Recommendations and thoughts: As this is a black tea it doesn't require the finicky water temperature that green teas do - 100 degrees Celsius is perfect. You can drink this black, with sugar, with milk - whatever suits your tastes. It can stand to be brewed for a few minutes, but unless you love extremely strong teas, I recommend not leaving it for too long. This tea is great with breakfast (as indicated by the name), but also in the afternoon as a pick-me-up.

Overall rating: 3.5 out of 5 cups. I find this tea to be such a comfort to me because of my past experiences, but I find it can be a bit overwhelming at certain times. A great tea nonetheless.

Price: Depending on the brand, you can find this tea just about anywhere. Twinings is a great company to go for, as is T2, but go for what tastes good to you. I personally prefer the loose leaf tea (how critical of me..) but tea bags are great too. You can usually get a small box of tea bags from your local supermarket for a few dollars.

1 comment:

  1. I have on more than one occasion thought to myself, "That must be one of the most beautiful sights in the world" when one adds milk to a dark English breakfast.

    What a beautiful word astringent is!

    I personally struggle to find the balance between too sweet and not nearly sweet enough. I think it's somewhere in between 1.25 and 1.5 teaspoons of sugar.

    ReplyDelete

All content owned by Bethwyn Walker unless otherwise stated. Simple theme. Theme images by gaffera. Powered by Blogger.

creating a place where rest and rejuvenation are paramount