READING || November 2019

Monday, December 2, 2019
Jeez, only one more month to go. What even is this!

books read:
~ Tilly and the Lost Fairytales (Pages & Co. #2) by Anna James (believathon)
~ The Abundance of Less: Lessons in Simple Living from Rural Japan by Andy Couturier (reread)
~ Potkin and Stubbs (Potkin and Stubbs #1) by Sophie Green (believathon)
~ The Way Home: Tales from a Life Without Technology by Mark Boyle (reread)
~ Keeper of the Lost Cities (Keeper of the Lost Cities #1) by Shannon Messenger (believathon)
~ Wild Born (Spirit Animals #1) by Brandon Mull (believathon)
~ The Starless Sea by Erin Morgenstern
~ Darkdawn (The Nevernight Chronicle #3) by Jay Kristoff
~ Three (The Nevernight Chronicle #3.5) by Jay Kristoff (deleted scene from Darkdawn)
~ The Year of Less: How I Stopped Shopping, Gave Away My Belongings, and Discovered Life is Worth More Than Anything You Can Buy in a Store by Cait Flanders (reread)
~ My Penguin Year: Living with the Emperors - A Journey of Discovery by Lindsay McCrae (review)

DNFs in November:
get ready...
~Pagan Portals: Fairy Queens: Meeting the Queens of the Otherworld by Morgan Daimler [DNF @ 20%] {NetGalley}
~ The Raven's Tale by Cat Winters [DNF @ 2%] {NetGalley}
~ Bird Bonds by Gisela Kaplan [DNF @ 50%] {review}
~ The Bird King by G. Willow Wilson [DNF @ 50%] {NetGalley}
~ Aristotle's Way: How Ancient Wisdom Can Change Your Life by Edith Hall [DNF @ 2%] {NetGalley}
~ Putting the Science in Fiction: Expert Advice for Writing with Authenticity in Science Fiction, Fantasy, & Other Genres by Dan Koboldt [DNF @ 10%] {NetGalley}
~ Spell Tracker (Light Mage Series #1) by Alex C. Vick [DNF @ 10%] {NetGalley}
~ Queen of Zazzau by J. S. Emuakpor [DNF @ 2%] {NetGalley}
~ How to Fracture a Fairy Tale by Jane Yolen [DNF @ 2%] {NetGalley}
~ Dark Alpha's Awakening (Reaper #7) by Donna Grant [DNF @ 10%] {NetGalley}
~ The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck: A Counterintuitive Approach to Living a Good Life by Mark Manson

currently reading:
~ Reticence (Custard Protocal #4) by Gail Carriger



Okay. So. November 2019 apparently was the month of DNFing things. Honestly, my NetGalley list has been pretty intensely over-populated, and so I've been trying to get through a few things to ease that down. This month I was really hitting that list hard and... unfortunately... a lot of what I was trying was just not for me, for one reason or another. Some things I gave several hours of reading, whilst others got a few pages before I realised that I just wasn't going to push myself through. I tried to give everything a fair review, but towards the end I was honestly just trying really hard to avoid falling into a reading slump (this kind of happened anyway, but I think I'm on the up-and-up now!). I guess the only upside really is that my NetGalley list is looking a lot better (though it still needs some work!).

Standouts this month? The Starless Sea by Erin Morgenstern was simply amazing. I just adored every minute of that book - to the point that I was actually really sad to finish it and have to return it to the library (I have since used a little precious discretionary money to buy my own copy because I want to reread it already!). I will definitely be going back and reading Morgenstern's first book, The Night Circus, sometime soon.



I also really enjoyed a lot of what I read for Believathon, which is a new readathon that ran for the entire month of November aimed at getting people to read more Children's/Middle Grade fiction. I was really pleasantly surprised by a lot of what I read, and I am hoping to continue a few of the series that I tried out this month.



I also reread quite a few things this month - all of them around a theme of living with less. I guess I was just needing it this month. These books are ones that I have reread before, and I really enjoyed them all over again. I love rereading old favourites.

Darkdawn! I finally read Darkdawn. And I really loved it. Honestly I thought the ending was a little... hmm. Different from what I expected (I'm trying really hard not to give anything away here). BUT I still really enjoyed it, and I cried for sure, and I think I will be rereading the entire trilogy again. Really looking forward to Jay Kristoff's next series.

Finally, let me just say that My Penguin Year was a really lovely read that I devoured pretty quickly. I am hoping to review that one soon, so keep an eye out for it. Any of you that have been reading my blog/following me on other platforms will know that I really love my nature writing, particularly when it comes with a touch of memoir, and this one fit the bill nicely. A lovely book.

That's it for this month! What I did manage to read was really great, just had a lot of DNFs mixed in. Sometimes that just has to happen - I do feel as if I'm learning more about my readings tastes, at least!

Love to all who read.

0 whisperings:

Post a Comment

All content owned by Bethwyn Walker unless otherwise stated. Powered by Blogger.

books | chronic illness | lifestyle | wellbeing

Powered by Blogger.
Back to Top