READING || August 2019

Sunday, September 1, 2019
books read:
~ Goodbye, Things by Fumio Sasaki, translated by Eriko Sugita (reread)
~ Fix Her Up by Tessa Bailey
~ The Forest of Wool and Steel by Natsu Miyashita, translated by Philip Gabriel [WIT]
~ The White Book by Han Kang, translated by Deborah Smith [WIT]
~ The Year of Less by Cait Flanders (reread)
~ The Tea Dragon Society by Katie O'Neill (reread)
~ In Other Words by Jhumpa Lahiri, translated by Ann Goldstein [WIT]
~ The Harp of Kings (Warrior Bards #1) by Juliet Marillier (review)
~ Of Dogs and Walls by Yuko Tsushima, translated by Geraldine Harcourt (review) [WIT]
~ Earthly Remains by Donna Leon
~ The Wolf's Call (Raven's Blade #1) by Anthony Ryan (review)
~ Trail of Lightning (The Sixth World #1) by Rebecca Roanhorse
~ Mooncakes by Suzanne Walker (review)
~ Bloodlust & Bonnets by Emily McGovern (review)
~ Bittersweet Love (The Dark Elements #0.5) by Jennifer L. Armentrout

DNFs in August:

~ Convenience Store Woman by Sayaka Murata, translated by Ginny Tapley Takemori (DNF @ 76%) [WIT]

currently reading:
~ Daemon Voices by Philip Pullman
~ Blood Song (Raven's Shadow #1) by Anthony Ryan


Is it really almost September? Despite me wanting this month to come, it still feels like it came both too quick and too slow. Not sure how to feel about that, but here we are.

August was Women in Translation month, so there was the suggestion of more of a focus on both women writers whose work had been translated, and women translators. So I read a few things for that (and DNF'd one thing) which you can see marked above with a [WIT] next to it. I really enjoyed a lot of what I read for this, and whilst I am no stranger to reading translated works, I would really love to make more of an effort going forward to read translated fiction and also look into particular translators whose work I like.

There's quite a mix of things in here that I'm quite happy about, though not really any science fiction which is a bit sad. More of that, I think. And more nonfiction wouldn't hurt! I also completed a few rereads this month which were just what I needed - Goodbye, Things; The Year of Less; The Tea Dragon Society - all of them were just wonderful to revisit. I think at least one reread a month is super helpful. I meant to get around to Godsgrave, too, but just couldn't manage it because of my mental health and stress levels. But I have started it, and hope to pick up a copy of Darkdawn next month once things kind of calm down.

I am feeling so grateful for the review books that I was sent and managed to read this month - The Harp of Kings was one of my most anticipated book releases for the year, and getting to read it early (review will be up tomorrow!) was just such a wonderful treat. And The Wolf's Call was such an awesome surprise - I thought it looked good and was excited to give it a try, but I didn't expect to then adore the writing so much that I wanted to read the author's other work immediately (which is what is now happening and I am seriously contemplating whether I want to buy the other books, I enjoy them that much). I also read some awesome review books courtesy of Netgalley, which was wonderful!

Overall, a surprisingly successful reading month despite my stress levels and general state of my mental health (and physical health). I wonder how September will go.

Love to all who read!

0 whisperings:

Post a Comment

All content owned by Bethwyn Walker unless otherwise stated. Powered by Blogger.

books | chronic illness | lifestyle | wellbeing

Powered by Blogger.
Back to Top