READING || July 2019

Friday, August 2, 2019
books read:
~ Underland by Robert Macfarlane
~ Hexarchate Stories by Yoon Ha Lee
~ Nevernight (Nevernight #1) by Jay Kristoff (reread)
~ How to Fight by Thich Nhat Hanh
~ How to Sit by Thich Nhat Hanh
~ A Curse So Dark and Lonely (Cursebreakers #1) by Brigid Kemmerer
~ The Odyssey by Homer
~ Sorcery of Thorns by Margaret Rogerson
~ The Tea Dragon Festival by Katie O'Neill (review)
~ So Cute It Hurts volume 1 by Go Ikeyamada
~ Peppermint Magazine Issue 41
~ Hakumei & Mikochi volume 1 by Takuto Kashiki
~ Sylvan Cities by Helen Babbs (review)
~ A Gentleman in Moscow by Amor Towles
~ Memento (Illuminae Novella) by Jay Kristoff and Amie Kaufman
~ Peppermint Magazine Issue 42
~ Aquicorn Cove by Katie O'Neill

DNFs in July:
~ The Fifth Season (The Broken Earth #1) by N. K. Jemisin [DNF @ 23%]

currently reading:
~ The Harp of Kings by Juliet Marillier (review)
~ Arab Australian Other edited by Randa Abdel-Fattah and Sara Saleh

Phew. It took a lot of time to write all that out, actually. I'm pretty pleased with how much I read this month, and I did pretty okay with my Book Junkie Trials TBR (check yesterday's post if you want to know my thoughts on those books!), so not a bad month really. Though I've been having a little bit of trouble with reading in the last few days - I may be on the verge of a reading slump. It goes well with the burnout I'm experiencing, so that makes sense I guess! XD

Okay, let's begin at the beginning. I bought and read Underland because it was one of the books that most intrigued me on the Wainwright Prize longlist for this year. I found it interesting, but it just didn't capture me the way a lot of other nature writing does, so I was a little disappointed. There was some really tough topics in there, too, so that could have contributed to my difficulty in picking this one up, as I was already pretty stressed out.

Next up: Hexarchate Stories. Ah, Yoon Ha Lee, how I adore your work, even though it can be so violent and traumatic and weird sometimes. I don't know what it is about his writing, but Yoon Ha Lee just captures me. I had trouble stretching this short story collection out, and I may have to reread soon, as my brain-fog-memory-loss has been ultra-present this month, so... I guess that's kind of a win in a way. I get to reread his work and it will be almost like the first time :D

My Nevernight reread was fantastic. I was a bit nervous going in that I wouldn't love it as much as I had the first time, but I needn't have worried - it's so fantastic, I just seem to keep thinking about it and gushing about it given half a chance. I am going to be rereading Godsgrave in August, and I can't wait. But also... Darkdawn is coming. My heart is not ready, but you better believe I want it now anyway.

Other things I'd like to gush about endlessly? Sorcery of Thorns was brilliant. I read Margaret Rogerson's first book, An Enchantment of Ravens, just last month and quite enjoyed it, but was hoping for just a little more. This was that little bit more. It was absolutely wonderful to be in that world, and I can't help wishing that there was going to be a sequel. I definitely need more of these characters, please. Another one to gush about? The Tea Dragon Festival, which I was lucky enough to receive an eARC of, was just so much of what I needed and always need - so delightful, heart-warming, beautiful, just ALL the beautiful descriptors, and I can't wait for it to come out officially so I can get my own copy. All the heart-eyes for this one. (I managed to get my hands on a copy of Aquicorn Cove, also by Katie O'Neill at the end of the month, and also devoured that one. My Katie O'Neill collection has started and I'm so happy.)

That's it from me for this month! I really hope you had a beautiful month, and that you got to read something absolutely lovely. Love to all who read.

0 whisperings:

Post a Comment

All content owned by Bethwyn Walker unless otherwise stated. Powered by Blogger.

books | chronic illness | lifestyle | wellbeing

Powered by Blogger.
Back to Top