READING || June 2019

Monday, July 1, 2019
books read:
~ Storm and Fury (The Harbinger #1) by Jennifer L. Armentrout (review)
~ Polaris Rising (Consortium Rebellion #1) by Jessie Mihalik
~ How to be Sick by Toni Bernhard (reread)
~ The Art of Beatrix Potter by Emily Zach
~ A Court of Mist and Fury (A Court of Thorns and Roses #2) by Sarah J. Maas (reread)
~ An Enchantment of Ravens by Margaret Rogerson
~ The Cruel Prince (The Folk of the Air #1) by Holly Black
~ Landmarks by Robert Macfarlane
~ HEAL by Pete Evans (review)
~ The Eyes of Tamburah (Archives of the Invisible Sword #1) by Maria V. Snyder (review)
~ Thinking on My Feet by Kate Humble

DNFs in June:
~ The Bells of Old Tokyo by Anna Sherman [DNF @ 25%]
~ The Beholder by Anna Bright [DNF @ 22%]

currently reading:
~ Underland: A Deep Time Journey by Robert Macfarlane
~ The Golem and the Djinni by Helene Wecker
~ Middlegame by Seanan McGuire

Okay, trying something a little different this month and letting you know what books I DNF'd (Did Not Finish) this month. For those unfamiliar with the lingo, it just means that I started these books, and then made the decision at some point to stop reading and give up on finishing the book. I debated sharing this back in April, as I actually quietly DNF'd 5 books that month, but I just wasn't sure. Of the two that I DNF'd this month, one was a review book and one was from a book subscription box. The Bells of Old Tokyo sounded right up my alley, and I was really interested in the subject matter, but the execution was just... not fantastic. I sensed a lot of bias in the author, and found some of the things she said to be a little jarring and discomfiting. The Beholder I had heard about from a few booktubers, but had very little to no interest in it. When I received it in a book subscription box, I figured I would give it a go, but just found the writing and characters a little frustrating and didn't really feel like it was going anywhere, so I decided to stop reading.

As for things I did read this month, there's quite a range! I did a couple of rereads - one for a reminder (How to Be Sick) and one for enjoyment (A Court of Mist and Fury). I am really glad I did these rereads, and I want to try and do at least one a month for the next few months, which is exciting.

The Wainwright Prize 2019 Longlist was announced earlier in June, so I was feeling inspired to get into some nature writing this month. I had one book of nature writing on my tbr shelf, Landmarks by Robert Mcfarlane, and I decided to pick that up before I read anything off of the longlist for this year. It was really good, and made me think about language and the way we interact with nature and our part within it. I am currently reading Robert Mcfarlane's newer book (which has been longlisted) Underland, and finding it really interesting. I also read Thinking on My Feet and really enjoyed that - I love walking when I can do it, and this book is such a celebration of walking and disconnecting to reconnect. Loved it.

Something I'd like to mention, though: The Cruel Prince by Holly Black. I finally caved and gave this one a go - it's been really hyped up on booktube and bookstagram lately and so many people seem to adore this series, and with the third book coming out this year I figured I should jump on the celebration train. But... I don't get it. I found all the characters pretty awful (I guess I don't really enjoy reading from the perspective of an unlikeable character), I didn't really get the motivation that much, and ultimately I didn't really care what happened. I kept reading for the hate/love relationship in this book, but even that left me feeling a be dissatisfied. Won't be continuing with that one.

Other honourable mentions? Polaris Rising is such an intensely awesome space opera romp; An Enchantment of Ravens is so atmospheric, beautiful, and magical; and Storm and Fury is so much fun and just an awesome paranormal romance. It was a pretty varied and interesting reading month, I'm really interested in what is in store for me in July!

Love to all who read.

0 whisperings:

Post a Comment

All content owned by Bethwyn Walker unless otherwise stated. Powered by Blogger.

books | chronic illness | lifestyle | wellbeing

Powered by Blogger.
Back to Top