READING || February 2019

Friday, March 8, 2019
books read:
~ The City of Brass (The Daevabad Trilogy #1) by S. A. Chakraborty (reread)
~ How to Make Space by Arlene Unger
~ 99 Percent Mine by Sally Thorne (review)
~ The Hating Game by Sally Thorne
~ Ninefox Gambit (The Machineries of Empire #1) by Yoon Ha Lee
~ In An Absent Dream (Wayward Children #4) by Seanan McGuire
~ On the Come Up by Angie Thomas (review)

currently reading:
~ Miyazakiworld: A Life in Art by Susan Napier
~ The Priory of the Orange Tree by Samantha Shannon
~ The Raven Tower by Ann Leckie (review)

Hulloooo the people! Yes, I have been slow putting this up again, but I'm sure you can forgive me. My birthday lands on the 2nd of March, and so I got kind of distracted by celebrating that, and then having to recover somewhat from that... chronic illness does not take a holiday just because you've turned a year older!

Anyway, February was a fairly light month on reading for me - I am actually surprised at how little I read. Seven books is a perfectly respectable number, don't get me wrong, and I did enjoy reading the majority of them, but normally I reach double digits, so this is a little surprising.

On to what I enjoyed! My reread of City of Brass was wonderful, and a day or two before I finished it, the second book arrived on my doorstep! I had preordered it back in January so I was pretty psyched to receive it. (I have finished it, in March, which is why it's not listed among the 'currently reading'.) The characters in this, and the world-building! I just adore it all. The descriptions of food are pretty intense, too, and never fail to make my tummy rumble - this is a book that often makes me want to snack.

Another stand-out was definitely Ninefox Gambit - I have been trying to get my hands on this for years. One of my local libraries finally got a copy, but I had to wait months for it to come round to me. Luckily, my brother surprised me with that most wonderful of things - money for books! - for my birthday, and I have now purchased the entire trilogy. I can't wait to jump into book two, Raven Strategem, and see what is going to happen next.

Finally reading Sally Thorne this month was also a bit of a highlight - I received a review copy of 99 Percent Mine and pretty much devoured it in two or three days. Then I immediately needed to read Thorne's first book, The Hating Game, and I really enjoyed that one, too. Ultimately, I think I go against the grain here, but I think I preferred 99 Percent Mine ever-so-slightly more, just because the main character - Darcy - just made me laugh and felt a little more... real? to me. I think what I mean by that is it's isn't often that I read about a female character in a romance book that knows what she wants and absolutely throws herself at it. Also, Darcy has some particular problems/situations which I could absolutely relate to. It felt awesome to read from her perspective.

Anywho! That's it for my Feb wrap-up. What did you read in Feb? I would love to hear!!

Love to all who read.

0 whisperings:

Post a Comment

All content owned by Bethwyn Walker unless otherwise stated. Powered by Blogger.

books | chronic illness | lifestyle | wellbeing

Powered by Blogger.
Back to Top