Reading // November 2018

Saturday, December 1, 2018
Huzzah! Another reading wrap-up post on time! :D

books read:
~ A Gathering of Shadows (Shades of Magic #2) by V. E. Schwab
~ I'll Be There For You: The One About Friends by Kelsey Miller (review)
~ A Zero Waste Life: In Thirty Days by Anita Vandyke
~ The Power of Now by Tolle Eckhart
~ An Absolutely Remarkable Thing by Hank Green (review)
~ Every Heart a Doorway (Wayward Children #1) by Seanan McGuire
~ Down Among the Sticks and Bones (Wayward Children #2) by Seanan McGuire
~ Beneath the Sugar Sky (Wayward Children #3) by Seanan McGuire
~ Moonstruck, Volume One: Magic to Brew (Moonstruck #1) by Grace Ellis
~ The Consuming Fire (The Interdependency #2) by John Scalzi (review)
~ Blackwood (Perth Shifters #1) by Pia Foxhall (review)
~ Defy the Worlds (Constellation #2) by Claudia Gray
~ The Abundance of Less: Lessons in Simple Living from Rural Japan by Andy Couturier (reread)
~ Zero Waste: Eliminate Your Trash, Simplify Your Life, and Heal the Earth by Shia Su

currently reading:
~ Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell by Susanna Clarke
~ Blackbird Song by Randy Lundy (review/Netgalley)
~ Queer Eye: Love Yourself, Love Your Life (review)


Hmm. There is quite a difference between having a sort of basic, conceptual idea of how much you're reading and then seeing it written out in front of you. There are a few shorter books in there, and one graphic novel, but I am pretty happy with that list! The only one that was kind of not super interesting was The Power of Now, which I read because I figured it might be something applicable to my thoughts on life and... it kind of was? But only really simply. I think I prefer reading about Buddhist ideas and Druidry rather than Eckhart Tolle's thoughts, but that's just my experience.

Stand-out reads for this month definitely include the books from the Wayward Children series by Seanan McGuire - I have no idea why I put off reading these for so long, and now I definitely want copies of my own. These are very short, but so full of wonder, magic, and also death. It reminded me of some of my favourite poetry and the wonder of faerie worlds, and I just read them so quickly. The second book, Down Among the Sticks and Bones, was probably my favourite, but I really loved them all.

Another stand-out that I have to mention is Blackwood by Pia Foxhall - I was so excited when I found out that Pia had written a book! I love Pia's work, and my review of Blackwood is basically a big gush of love and feelings about their characters and how they manage to connect with readers so wonderfully. I just cannot state how much I adore Pia's writing, it brings me so much... feels.

I will also mention Defy the Worlds and The Consuming Fire, my stand-out scifi reads of this month. I can't really mention them too much because they are both the second book in series, but I absolutely adored being back in each of their storylines and with those wonderful characters. Both have such fantastic humour and I was actually chuckling to myself whilst reading them (a bit creepy, but whatever!). Claudia Gray and John Scalzi are both fantastic.

And that is all for this month, my dears! What are you reading at the moment? Let me know in the comments!

Love to all who read.

0 whisperings:

Post a Comment

All content owned by Bethwyn Walker unless otherwise stated. Powered by Blogger.

books | chronic illness | lifestyle | wellbeing

Powered by Blogger.
Back to Top