Reading // April 2018

Friday, May 4, 2018
books read:
~ Scythe (Scythe #1) by Neal Shusterman (review)
~ Begone the Raggedy Witches (The Wild Magic Trilogy #1) by Celine Kiernan (review)
~ Reflections on a Mountain Lake: Teachings on Practical Buddhism by Tenzin Palmo
~ Illuminae (The Illuminae Files #1) by Amie Kaufman and Jay Kristoff (re-read)
~ Gemina (The Illuminae Files #2) by Amie Kaufman and Jay Kristoff
~ The Good Luck Sister (Wildstone #1.5) by Jill Shalvis (review)
~ Obsidio (The Illuminae Files #3) by Amie Kaufman and Jay Kristoff
~ Miles Franklin: A Short Biography by Jill Roe (review)
~ Nimona by Noelle Stevenson
~ Julian is a Mermaid by Jessica Love (review to come)
~ The Astonishing Colour of After by Emily X. R. Pan (review)
~ Adventures of a Young Naturalist: The Zoo Quest Expeditions by David Attenborough (review)
~ Paris Ever After by K. S. R. Burns (review)
~ A Court of Mist and Fury (A Court of Thorns and Roses #2) by Sarah J. Maas

currently reading:
~ A Court of Wings and Ruin (A Court of Thorns and Roses #3) by Sarah J. Maas
~ The Price Guide to the Occult by Leslye Walton (review)

Another month of several reviews! Seven available, and one more to come in June! I am pretty happy with that, and also happy to note that my style of reviewing is evolving somewhat - I am finding that, with all of my brain fog symptoms lately that make it really hard to remember things, I have started to use little page markers and such to notify myself of important things in a review book - things I might like to quote, or mention, when writing my review. I am also thinking of using note-cards or a notebook to start writing down my thoughts a little more, so that my reviews are a bit more fleshed out and less...off-the-cuff at times. It can be hard to write books reviews when you are having a bad brain day and can hardly remember what the book was about!

Anyway, onto my general thoughts. I mostly adored everything I read this month, with a couple of exceptions which you can read about in my reviews for the most part. I really love the fairly decent mix of genres in this month - lots of SFF, if I'm honest, but Fantasy and SciFi are my favourite genres, so that is kind of to be expected. A little sprinkling of kids books, some romance, and even some nonfiction round out everything quite well, I think.

Particular mentions I'd like to make: The Astonishing Colour of After absolutely blew me away, giving that I wasn't sure I could handle the subject matter (trigger warnings for depression and suicide). It is so beautifully written, and I gobbled it up in less than 24 hours, and then wanted to read it again. I definitely think I will sometime soon.
I finally got around to rereading Illuminae and the finishing the trilogy. And I am so so glad I did because I loved it. 

Oh, and I definitely have to mention A Court of Mist and Fury - I absolutely loved this. After being mostly so-so about the first book back when I read it, but loving the ending, I was a little unsure about picking up the others. But it happened to be at the library when I went so I grabbed it and then devoured it in three days. There is so much here that I love, and I am definitely considering getting a copy of my own for re-reading purposes. I am currently reading the third book and enjoying it, but am reserving my decision for buying the first three until I am closer to the end, I think. But the second book... oh yes. That needs to be on my shelf.

What have other peeps been reading this month? Anything fun or life-changing? Let me know in the comments~!

Love to all who read.

1 comment:

  1. Not only are your reviews changing and maturing your blog posts are too! I love the cleverness of your writing. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete

All content owned by Bethwyn Walker unless otherwise stated. Powered by Blogger.

books | chronic illness | lifestyle | wellbeing

Powered by Blogger.
Back to Top