Reading // November 2017

Friday, December 1, 2017
books read:
~ The Subtle Knife (His Dark Materials #2) by Philip Pullman
~ The Amber Spyglass (His Dark Materials #3) by Philip Pullman
~ Simple Matters: Living with Less and Ending Up with More by Erin Boyle
~ Holiday Wishes (Heartbreaker Bay #4.5) by Jill Shalvis
~ La Belle Sauvage (The Book of Dust #1) by Philip Pullman
~ The Beginning of the World in the Middle of the Night by Jen Campbell
~ The Little Book of Lykke: The Danish Search for the World's Happiest People by Meik Wiking
~ Unearthed (Unearthed #1) by Amie Kaufman and Megan Spooner (review)
~ Beauty Food by Lola Berry (review)
~ Kilted Yoga: Yoga, Laid Bare by Finlay Wilson (review)
~ Genealogy for Gardeners by Dr Ross Bayton and Simon Maughan (review)
~ The Horse and His Boy (Chronicles of Narnia #3) by C. S. Lewis
~ Saga Land by Richard Fidler

currently reading:
~ ALL the fanfics
~ The Girl Who Drank the Moon by Kelly Barnhill (review)
~ rereading Written in Red (The Others #1) by Anne Bishop
~ dipping in and out of Middlemarch by George Eliot

Phew! I was really trying to catch up this month with review books, but it was rough. A few that I received just weren't working for me, and with lots of other stuff going on in my life, it just didn't feel super possible that I would get any reviewing done. But I managed four books! And I am reading another now! So that's a win in my (heh) books!~

Stand-outs for this month are: Philip Pullman! All the Philip Pullman. Honestly, I read The Golden Compass/Northern Lights last year and kind of didn't get what all the fuss was about. Lyra kind of irritated me and, yeh, daemons were cool and all but I think I wanted to a familiar like in Harry Potter more than that. But then I read The Subtle Knife and it was like something clicked for me. I suddenly got it! I got why everyone loved these books so much. And then to be able to go on and read La Belle Sauvage was just awesome - I am thinking of rereading The Golden Compass/Northern Lights soon to see if my feelings on that have changed, too.

Jen Campbell's new collection of short stories, The Beginning of the World in the Middle of the Night is eery, haunting, and absolutely wonderful. I already have a favourite, but I think I will be going back to reread different stories in the future.

Saga Land was a book a spied in Target when I was trying to reward myself for going to a particularly difficult medical appointment. It has a most gorgeous cover, and the content is fascinating and gave me a wonderful glimpse into Icelandic Sagas, Norse Myths (I am allllll about the Loki, lately) and more personal things about the two authors. I absolutely loved my time with this one, and I highly recommend it.

I hope everyone is reading some awesome stuff as we head into the last month of the year!

Love to all who read.


0 whisperings:

Post a Comment

All content owned by Bethwyn Walker unless otherwise stated. Powered by Blogger.

books | chronic illness | lifestyle | wellbeing

Powered by Blogger.
Back to Top