Reading // April 2017

Wednesday, May 3, 2017
Books read:
~ Accidentally on Purpose (Heartbreaker Bay #3) by Jill Shalvis (review)
~ Sweet Little Lies (Heartbreaker Bay #1) by Jill Shalvis
~ A Writer's Diary: Being Extracts from the Diary of Virginia Woolf, edited by Leonard Woolf
~ The Wrath and the Dawn (The Wrath and the Dawn #1) by Renee Ahdieh
~ The One Hundred Nights of Hero by Isabel Greenberg
~ Animal Magnetism (Animal Magnetism #1) by Jill Shalvis (re-read)
~ Animal Attraction (Animal Magnetism #2) by Jill Shalvis (re-read)
~ The Little Breton Bistro by Nina George (review)


Currently Reading:
~ Badgerlands by Patrick Barkham
~ The Dark Circle by Linda Grant
~ Etched in Bone (The Others #5) by Anne Bishop

Ohh man. April was intense. I'm not going to mention the emotional stuff that happened, because this is a blog post about books and reading, but you can get an idea by heading to my instagram (link on your right if you're reading this on the blog) if you want.

ANYWAY. I was really getting ahead with my review books this month, so *pats self on the back*. I ended up going on a bit of a Jill Shalvis kick, because those books are fun and give me time to just ignore the rest of the world for a bit. After reading Accidentally on Purpose to review, I decided to go back and read the first one of that series. That then prompted me to go find whatever old ones of hers I read in the past at my library and have a bit of a re-read. I highly recommend the Animal Magnetism books if you like fun, simple romance - these ones even have cute animals in them! Right up my alley.

Virginia Woolf's Writer's Diary really blew me out of the water. I love the way she writes, and seeing the writing process of a few of her books was so inspiring and interesting and she just seems to have a knack for getting across the experience of writing books, getting feedback, and dealing with being bookmarked (if you will) as a certain kind of writer. I loved reading this.

The Wrath and the Dawn by Renee Ahdieh was definitely enjoyable whilst I was reading it, and I actually started the follow-up book and got about a third of the way through before I started to feel like the things I found problematic in the first book just caught up with me. It was a little insta-lovey, and there were some scenes where sex was implied but never really discussed and it was just... problematic. I ended up with so many questions circling around my head that I couldn't finish The Rose and the Dagger and returned it to the library.

The One Hundred Nights of Hero by Isabel Greenberg was absolutely fantastic, I loved it, read it in one sitting and then sat there thinking about it for a while. I think each of the books she puts out just get better and I want more, please.

I requested a copy of The Little Breton Bistro by Anne George because when I was going through a reading slump at the very start of this year, my Mum lent me her copy of George's first book, The Little Paris Bookshop, and I was blown away and connected so deeply with it that my slump was just blown out of the window. The Little Breton Bistro, I think, was even better. And I related to the character more. I will be putting up a review of this soon so I won't gush anymore here.

I am really enjoying everything I am currently reading at the moment, but constant migraine symptoms and some lingering grief over things that happened in April are kind of slowing me down. I am still reading though! 

How are you going? Did you read much in April?

Love to everyone who reads.

0 whisperings:

Post a Comment

All content owned by Bethwyn Walker unless otherwise stated. Powered by Blogger.

books | chronic illness | lifestyle | wellbeing

Powered by Blogger.
Back to Top