{2016} October Reading

Tuesday, November 1, 2016
Books bought/received:
~ Crooked Kingdom (Six of Crows #2) by Leigh Bardugo
~ The Four Legendary Kingdoms by Matthew Reilly
~ Spirited by Gede Parma (gift from a friend!)
~ Peggy & Me by Miranda Hart (review)
~ Moon Chosen by P. C. Cast (review)
~ Hygge by Charlotte Abrahams (review)

~ The Zen Kitchen by Adam Liaw (review)
~ Asteroid Made of Dragons by G. Derek Adams
~ Badgerlands by Patrick Barkham

badgery badgery goodness...


Books read:
~ The Fish Ladder: A Journey Upstream by Katharine Norbury
~ Imprudence (Custard Protocol #2) by Gail Carriger
~ Heartless by Marissa Meyer (review)
~ Crooked Kingdom (Six of Crows #2) by Leigh Bardugo
~ Ouran High School Host Club Manga (books #2-18) by Bisco Hatori
~ Undying: A Love Story by Michel Faber
~ The Year of Reading Dangerously: How Fifty Great Books Saved My Life by Andy Miller
~ Girl Up by Laura Bates
~ Hygge by Charlotte Abrahams (review)
~ The Zen Kitchen by Adam Liaw (review)

Reading reading...


Well! This month was quite a good one! I read hardly any bad books, and finished an entire series of manga that I have been meaning to read for years! I am very pleased :D

At the start of the month I got back into a bit of a nature writing kick and decided to read whatever books from this year's Wainwright shortlist I could find - thus The Fish Ladder. It was absolutely wonderful and I was completely immersed in it from start to finish - wonderfully written. 

From there, I went on a bit of a YA-themed kick, finishing off Imprudence (which may actually be adult? Not sure!), Heartless, and Crooked Kingdom. Each of them were fantastic in their own ways - Imprudence left me wanting the next book (not due to come out til 2018 I think?) and Crooked Kingdom left me a bit broken and fascinated by the characters that Bardugo had created. I am a bit in love with that duology and may revisit it very soon. For my thoughts on Heartless, you will have to wait until November 14th, which is when my review is scheduled to go up.

Such a gorgeous cover...


Ouran.... Oh how I love me some Ouran.... I fell in love with the anime years and years ago, and when I came across it recently and began rewatching it, I fell in love with it all over again. I had often heard whispers that the manga went on after the anime storyline had finished, and that things happened, and so, when a friend of mine got the entire boxset of manga, I immediately borrowed it from him and committed myself to finishing it in its entirety. It was so worth it. I am now absolutely so deeply in love with this series that I want to own everything for myself. That may have to wait til I have money...

Undying by Michel Faber is a collection of poetry that I bought a few months back, but never really got around to finishing. I am so glad I did. This collection is about Faber's wife and her battle with cancer, and her death. It is about how they met, what their relationship was like, and what it was like for Faber to lose her. Beautiful and heartbreaking.

And now we move on to the nonfiction section! After watching one of my favourite booktubers, Jen Campbell, attend a book convention and meeting a few authors, I decided to see if my local library had some of the books she mentioned. The Year of Reading Dangerously and Girl Up quickly came to my hands and were gobbled up within days of each other. Reading Dangerously absolutely floored me - I adore books about reading, and this one reminded me that certain books just deserve to be read. Sometimes books just get on your radar and you try to dismiss them but they just keep coming back.... Needless to say, this book kind of changed my thinking a little bit, and I love that. Girl Up was also an eye-opener, and I found myself crying and feeling so sad and angry about certain things, but also feeling hopeful for the future and more fired up than ever about feminism and my right to research more into this topic. Laura Bates is fantastic.

Hygge and The Zen Kitchen arrived together in a package and I was so excited to receive them. Hygge was a fantastic read that I completed in about a day, and I really connected with the whole idea of this calm contentment that is a main theme of Danish life. I believe I will be revisiting this one. As I will with The Zen Kitchen - so many Japanese cookbooks leave me feeling baffled and disheartened, but this one has recipes that I actually want to try (and have already tried!) and I tend to recognise almost all the ingredients, which is fantastic and makes me excited about making Japanese food in my own kitchen!

Snacks and reading! :D


So that was my October! Not too shabby, I have to say. What are you reading at the moment? Are their any manga series that have stayed close in your heart?

0 whisperings:

Post a Comment

All content owned by Bethwyn Walker unless otherwise stated. Powered by Blogger.

books | chronic illness | lifestyle | wellbeing

Powered by Blogger.
Back to Top