{2016} July Reading

Monday, August 1, 2016
Books bought/received:
~ Meadowland by John Lewis-Stempel
~ The Essex Serpent by Sarah Perry
~ Den of Wolves (Blackthorn & Grim #3) by Juliet Marillier (review)
~ Every Exquisite Things by Matthew Quick (review)
~ Lord of the Darkwood (The Tale of Shikanoko #3 and #4) by Lian Hearn (review)
~ Harry Potter and the Cursed Child by J. K. Rowling, John Tiffany, and Jack Thorne


Wheeee!


Books read:
~ Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte
~ The Mistresses of Cliveden: Three Centuries of Scandal, Power and Intrigue in an English Stately Home by Natalie Livingstone
~ The Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman
~ The Wind in the Willows by Kenneth Grahame
~ Uprooted by Naomi Novik
~ Living Nonviolent Communication: Practical Tools to Connect and Communicate Skilfully in Every Situation by Marshall B. Rosenburg


The pretty owl!!


If you've looked through what I read this month properly, you may notice something - I haven't finished a review book in a month. Why, yes! I am a bit behind on my reviewing! I am not feeling too bad about it at present, though, as I have been having a hard month and just really needed to read whatever I wanted to, or just not read at all. I have about a bajillion books on the go at the moment, but they are all good for different reasons so I am okay with that :)

Anyway! Back to what actually happened this month. Everything I read this month was fascinating and wonderful for different reasons. Jane Eyre I started back in Japan during my honeymoon, and realised quickly that while I remembered quite a lot, I never really remembered the exact ending - I have a feeling I have never finished it before. That is no longer true! I loved it, for sure, and am interested in reading more Bronte stuff again - having only ever finished Wuthering Heights before.


Tea and books... How pretty is this cover?


Two nonfiction this month - on one end of the scale we have Living Nonviolent Communication which is all about communicating well with others, something that Xin and I are really interested in and practice when we can. On the other end of the scale we have The Mistresses of Cliveden which was fascinating and scandalous and made me want to visit the house itself someday.

For the 2016 'Make Me Read It' Readathon (more info here and here), I got through The Ocean at the End of the Lane, which was great and easy to read in one sitting, but had moments of 'uhmm... not sure how to read through that because it was a bit gross, but just moving on!' I did enjoy it but I still have some moments of not being entirely sure if Gaiman's writing is for me, but will keep trying anyway. I also started (but didn't finish until after the readathon) Uprooted by Naomi Novik which has been sitting on my shelf for so long and finally got the love it deserved from me. This book is just fantastic and I find myself wanting to be back in that world a lot since finishing it... I may have to check out Novik's other works.


I squealed when I saw this had arrived. Oh oh oh oh.


And finally we have The Wind in the Willows by Kenneth Grahame! This was a re-read for me, but in a kind of weird way. My mum read this to me when I was but a little Bethwyn, so I just remember thinking Mr Toad was kind of silly and Mr Badger was fantastic. (Note: not much has changed XD). Xin and I have been reading this to each other at night from a beautiful edition that Xin got me for my birthday. It was such a lovely experience and we are trying to keep it going with the Narnia books now :D

Okay! Wow! I write a lot, even about so little... What are you reading at the moment? Are there any books I read this month that you would like to see a review of? Let me know!!

0 whisperings:

Post a Comment

All content owned by Bethwyn Walker unless otherwise stated. Powered by Blogger.

books | chronic illness | lifestyle | wellbeing

Powered by Blogger.
Back to Top