{2016} June Reading

Saturday, July 2, 2016
Books bought/received:
~ The House Between Tides by Sarah Maine (won!)
~ Self-Reg by Dr Stuart Shanker with Teresa Barker (review)

Books read:
~ Where the Trees Were by Inga Simpson (review)
~ Gate of Lilacs by Clive James (review)
~ Something New by Lucy Knisley (review)
~ The Moor (Mary Russell #4) by Laurie R. King
~ The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet (Wayfarers #1) by Becky Chambers
~ The View from the Cheap Seats by Neil Gaiman (review)
~ Grief is the Thing with Feathers by Max Porter
~ O Jerusalem (Mary Russell #5) by Laurie R. King
~ Awakening the Buddha Within by Lama Surya Das
~ Odd Type Writers by Celia Blue Johnson
~ Breathing Under Water by Sophie Hardcastle (review)

I have been trying to get through more of my review books lately, as well as just kind of reading what I wanted when I wanted to, so that kind of accounts for how much I have jumped around this month.

As you can see, my interest in the Mary Russell books has diminished slightly, but I am still getting through them. I am kind-of-sort-of reading the sixth book, Justice Hall, right now, in between other things.


time near the balcony enjoying the breeze and a book~


Quite a few of the review books were a delight to read this month: the Lucy Knisley and Neil Gaiman in particular were met with overjoyed noises from me when they arrived, and then were savoured as I read as slowly as I could. Where the Trees Were and Breathing Under Water were quite interesting surprises, and I am so glad that I requested them, as they were a bit of a departure from stuff I normally read and I was so glad to have branched out. Unfortunately, the Clive James, while beautiful, was still a little hard for me to understand, so I had to admit defeat with that one.


all rugged up with books, journal, and kitty!


The other stuff I read is a bit of a mixed bag: some scifi, nonfiction, a book written in verse, one on the Buddhist eightfold path... looking back on it now, I am kind of surprised. I loved each of them in individual ways, and have already recommended the scifi (The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet) to several people. Awakening the Buddha Within was picked up off my shelf (it still had a bookmark in it from before...) and read to the end at a time when I was feeling a bit overwhelmed, and it actually really helped me to take a step back and reassess how I was seeing things. It has re-sparked my interest in Buddhist texts.

Otherwise, I am still trying to chug along with the review books, and am currently reading a book from the library calle The Mistresses of Cliveden, which I am really enjoying. Expanding horizons, guys. What are you reading at the moment?


if I have learnt anything from my cat, it's too seek the sun, even if that means sitting on the floor.


Love to all who read.

0 whisperings:

Post a Comment

All content owned by Bethwyn Walker unless otherwise stated. Powered by Blogger.

books | chronic illness | lifestyle | wellbeing

Powered by Blogger.
Back to Top