{2016} March and April Reading

Wednesday, May 4, 2016
So I may be a bit late with the March one... but I was in Japan, so I figure it's all good. There is a chance that I will miss some of the 'books bought/received' list as... I can't remember all of them. ^^; ANYWAY. Onwards!

Lovely package from Katharine!


Books bought/received:
~ Displacement by Lucy Knisley
~ Marked in Flesh (The Others #4) by Anne Bishop
~ The Girl Who Raced Fairyland All the Way Home (Fairyland #5) by Catherynne M. Valente
~ Gotham by Nick Earls (review)
~ So, Anyway... by John Cleese
~ The Dark Days Club (Lady Helen #1) by Alison Goodman
~ East of Eden by John Steinbeck
~ The Years by Virginia Woolf
~ The Sacred Balance: Rediscovering Our Place in Nature by David Suzuki
~ Ancillary Justice (Imperial Radch #1) by Ann Leckie
~ SHINee Surprise Vacation [Travel Note 1]
~ To Spin a Darker Stair, Stories by Faith Mudge and Catherynne M Valente
~ Australis Imaginarium edited by Tehani Wessely
~ Worlds Next Door edited by Tehani Wessely
~ After the Rain edited by Tehani Wessely
~ Gut and Psychology Syndrome
 ~ The Rebirth of Rapunzel: A Mythic Biography of the Maiden in the Tower by Kate Forsyth (gift from the lovely Katharine)
~ the long way to a small angry planet by Becky Chambers (also a gift from the lovely Katharine!)
~ Lab Girl by Hope Jahren (review)
~ The Square Root of Summer by Harriet Reuter Hapgood (review)
~ When We Were Alive by C. J. Fisher (prize!)
~ A Kiss From Mr Fitzgerald by Natasha Lester (review)
~ LaRose by Louise Erdrich (review)
~ Children of Earth and Sky by Guy Gavriel Kay (review)
~ Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck

Reading John Steinbeck in Korea while eating a blueberry bagel with cream cheese~

Books read:
march
~ Emperor of the Eight Islands (Tale of Shikanoko #1&2) by Lian Hearn (review)
~ Displacement by Lucy Knisley
~ Captive Prince (Captive Prince #1) by C. S. Pacat
~ All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr
~ Aunts Aren't Gentlemen (Jeeves #15) by P. G. Wodehouse
~ Marked in Flesh (The Others #4) by Anne Bishop
~ So, Anyway... by John Cleese

Six novels and a graphic novel - I am actually pretty surprised I got through so much, what with my birthday and getting married and going on my honeymoon and SO MANY THING.  Anyway, only one review book in March, and then a load of reading that I wanted to do. The John Cleese book, in particular, changed things a bit for me. I realised after that that there were a lot of more non-fiction type reads that I really wanted to try out, a lot more classics. Cleese's writing was fantastic and at times super funny, and it was so enjoyable to read on the way to and in Japan.

The other stand-out for me in March was Displacement by Lucy Knisley - a travelogue she made about going on a cruise with her grandparents. Knisely writes (and draws) in such an honest way and I was brought to tears during the course of the book. She is still my favourite graphic novelist.


alphonseal and a pile of books. needed rest.


april
~ East of Eden by John Steinbeck
~ Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck
~ Gotham by Nick Earls (review)
~ Lab Girl by Hope Jahren (review)

Hmmm, four books in April. Well I was away for half of it, and when I got back, I was exhausted. So I am getting back into reading and reviewing stuff, but it is slow-going at times. Having my own little set-up at home on the couch is helping, though!
East of Eden was pretty life-changing. The characters and their actions, the way Steinbeck describes things... everything was fascinating. It was my first Steinbeck and seems to have started me on a bit of a run ^^;
Lab Girl was also an interesting read, and I loved learning about plants and trees as well as Jahren's own story. Plus, the cover is gorgeous - check it out on my review post.

What are you reading? Anything rocking your world?

Delicious Red Cappuccino and reading material~ 

0 whisperings:

Post a Comment

All content owned by Bethwyn Walker unless otherwise stated. Powered by Blogger.

books | chronic illness | lifestyle | wellbeing

Powered by Blogger.
Back to Top