Book Review: Secret Coders - Get With the Program! by Gene Luen Yang and Mike Holmes

Monday, January 11, 2016
I love reading. Books are amazing. They are a form of escapism, yes, but they are also inspiration, joy, and... well. Goodness. I think in some ways I have used my appetite for reading to define parts of my personality, so it made sense for me to review some of what I read! Here we go...





Title: Secret Coders: Get with the Program!
Author: Gene Luen Yang and Mike Holmes
Series: Secret Coders #1
Publication Date: Sept 29th 2015

Synopsis: "Welcome to Stately Academy.
Hopper hates her new school. The kids are mean, the principal is scary, and there's something creepy about the building itself. For instance: why are the walls of Stately Academy covered in the number 9?

Hopper and her friend Eni are determined to get to the bottom of it. But the mystery of Stately Academy has been programmed into its very stones, and it'll take two persistent programmers to figure it out!
Hopper and Eni are about to become secret coders."

My thoughts: I have to admit I wasn't sure I was going to get on very well with this one - bullies and something about coding? Hmm. But I have loved everything else that I have read by Gene Luen Yang, and so I decided to go with it.
I ended up being sucked in pretty quickly, and rather disappointed when the first volume ended so soon! I even had my notebook out at one point trying to figure out answers to things before heading on to the next chapter, and I found it fascinating to learn about binary code - the way Holmes and Yang have explained it is fantastic!

The art is also fantastic - clean and not too busy, with a simple palette and really expressive characters. The humour is also great. All of this adds up to just a lovely little story that deserves to continue on - I can't wait for the next volume!


I received a review copy of this book from First Second Books (thank you!!).

You would like this book if: You like gentle graphic novels with good characters and some maths thrown in for good measure.

Tea to drink while reading this book: Something simple and good for supporting the brain, like a simple Sencha green tea or the like. :)

Rating:  8/10

If you'd like to keep up to date with what I'm reading, follow me on Goodreads here!

0 whisperings:

Post a Comment

All content owned by Bethwyn Walker unless otherwise stated. Powered by Blogger.

books | chronic illness | lifestyle | wellbeing

Powered by Blogger.
Back to Top