Book Review: The Aeronaut's Windlass by Jim Butcher

Monday, October 26, 2015
I love reading. Books are amazing. They are a form of escapism, yes, but they are also inspiration, joy, and... well. Goodness. I think in some ways I have used my appetite for reading to define parts of my personality, so it made sense for me to review some of what I read! Here we go...



Title: The Aeronaut's Windlass
Author: Jim Butcher
Series: The Cinder Spires #1
Publication Date: September 29th 2015

Synopsis: "Since time immemorial, humanity has lived inside the Spires, habitats towering for miles over the dangerous, monster-infested surface of the world. Captain Grimm of the merchant airship Predator was dismissed from Spire Albion's military in disgrace - now his ship and crew are all he has, and he's fiercely loyal to both. When the Predator is severely damaged in combat, Grimm is offered a choice - take on a clandestine mission for Albion's leaders, or stay grounded for good.
And even as Grimm undertakes this perilous task, he will learn that the conflict between the Spires is merely a premonition of things to come. Humanity's ancient enemy, silent for more than ten thousand years, has begun to stir once more. And death with follow in its wake..."

My thoughts: I have never read any Jim Butcher before, though I have watched most of the Dresden Files tv series (which is excellent), so when this turned up on my doorstep I was definitely intrigued to try it out. And I was not disappointed.

Butcher has created such a fantastic, intriguing world - not quite dystopian, but pretty close - and has populated it with amazing characters. These characters, guys, they are just so interesting. So varied and charming (for some), and occasionally downright scary (for others).

There's a quote on the back of my copy from Patricia Briggs that says "Beware fellow readers, herein lies adventure that will keep you from food or rest..." - and, really, I have to concur. I had a tendency to ignore my body's needs (such as food) when I started to read this book. The story was just fascinating, and I couldn't predict where it was going to go next. It was such a fantastic mix of adventure, suspense, humour, and yes, a little romance (just a teensy touch). And there's even cats!

Seriously, I loved this. And I really want to get my hands on the next one. And maybe read more Jim Butcher in general :D


Big thanks to Hachette for sending me an unsolicited copy of this book.


You would like this book if: You enjoy awesome adventures with well-crafted characters.

Tea to drink while reading this book: A hard one to pick, as this book has so much in it... But I have to say I enjoyed the odd pot of chai (Cuppa and Co.'s Cheeky Chai) to go with the complex flavours of this book :)

Rating:  10/10

If you'd like to keep up to date with what I'm reading, follow me on Goodreads here!

0 whisperings:

Post a Comment

All content owned by Bethwyn Walker unless otherwise stated. Powered by Blogger.

books | chronic illness | lifestyle | wellbeing

Powered by Blogger.
Back to Top