{2015} August Reading

Tuesday, September 1, 2015


Books bought/received:
~ My Year of Meats by Ruth Ozeki
~ Lips too chilled by Matsuo Basho
~ Hear the Wind Sing/Pinball, 1973 by Haruki Murakami
~ Better than Before: Mastering the Habits of Our Everyday Lives by Gretchen Rubin
~ Alice's Adventures in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll, illustrated by Tove Jansson
~ Persuasion by Jane Austen
~ Tower of Thorns by Juliet Marillier (review)
~ A Portable Shelter by Kirsty Logan
~ Rush Oh! by Shirley Barrett (review)




Books read:
~ Yoko's Diary by Yoko Moriwaki, edited by Paul Ham
~ Smoke Gets in Your Eyes: And Other Lessons from the Crematory by Caitlin Doughty
~ The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry by Rachel Joyce
~ The Night Bookmobile by Audrey Niffenegger
~ The Adventuress by Audrey Niffenegger
~ The Moomins and the Great Flood (The Moomins #1) by Tove Jansson
~ Better than Before: Mastering the Habits of Our Everyday Lives by Gretchen Rubin
~ Weird Things Customers Say in Bookshops by Jen Campbell
~ Sum: Forty Tales from the Afterlives by David Eagleman
~ Persuasion by Jane Austen
~ White Hot Kiss (The Dark Elements #1) by Jennifer L. Armentrout
~ Emma by Jane Austen
~ Instant Attraction (Wilder #1) by Jill Shalvis



So! Absolutely no review books this month whatsoever! That feels weird to say. I do have some on the go, but I just couldn't finish them. August was a huge 'finish-all-the-study-things' month for me, plus a few different health things going on, as well as having to apply for jobs and euch. Let's just leave real life behind, shall we? Yes please.

I seem to have had a bit of a preoccupation with death this month, as you can see from 'Smoke Gets in Your Eyes', 'Sum', and 'Yoko's Diary', which is the diary of a young girl who died shortly after the bombing of Hiroshima. The latter book I read for research as well as curiosity, but the other two were completely just for curiosity's sake, and I actually loved both of them. Smoke Gets in Your Eyes is such an interesting (also horrifying) book, and I found myself really connecting with Caitlin Doughty, who wrote (and experienced) all of it.

A few picture books this month, because I wanted to (there literally is no other reason), and then a couple of nonfiction. Better than Before in particular just dragged me in and fascinated me. I have already implemented a few changes and I think looking at my habits is helping me to get things done!

Ah yes, and then all we have to discuss is the Jane Austen books, and the romances. Let's start with Jane Austen. I decided after much deliberation to finally order a beautiful copy of Persuasion, and then immediately read it when it arrived. I have only ever finished Pride and Prejudice and Sense and Sensibility before, but always wanted to finish all the Jane Austens, and I found myself really enjoying Persuasion. Then I picked up Emma (simply because it was the one that was available at the library at the time) and, despite having issues with Emma before, I found I absolutely ADORED it this time round. After finishing it, it went almost to the top of my favourite Austen list. (Not quite, though.) Now I am reading Northanger Abbey :)



And now, the romances. White Hot Kiss had definite potential, but in the end I found it a bit frustrating and odd, so it didn't rate very highly for me. The Jill Shalvis however sucked me in and gave me exactly what I needed - time away from all the study to just read something fun. Heading back into the Shalvis territory very soon.

I have about a bajillion books on the go right now, but study has kind of stopped me from reading as much as I'd like. Thankfully, soon that shall ease and I will be returning to reading as much as possible! What are you reading at the moment?

0 whisperings:

Post a Comment

All content owned by Bethwyn Walker unless otherwise stated. Powered by Blogger.

books | chronic illness | lifestyle | wellbeing

Powered by Blogger.
Back to Top