Book Review: Frostfire and Ice Kissed by Amanda Hocking

Sunday, August 2, 2015
I love reading. Books are amazing. They are a form of escapism, yes, but they are also inspiration, joy, and... well. Goodness. I think in some ways I have used my appetite for reading to define parts of my personality, so it made sense for me to review some of what I read! Here we go...






Title: Frostfire and Ice Kissed
Author: Amanda Hocking
Series: Kanin Chronicles #1 and #2
Publication Date: January 15th 2015 and May 7th 2015 respectively

Synopsis: "Will she give up her dream to follow her heart?
Bryn Aven is determined to gain status amongst the Kanin, the most powerful of the hidden tribes. But as a half-blood, winning respect is a huge challenge. Bryn's almost-human community distrusts people, and those from other tribes are almost as suspect.

She has just one goal to get ahead: to join the elite guard protecting the Kanin royal family. And Bryn's vowed that nothing will stand in her way, not even a forbidden romance with her boss, Ridley Dresden.
But her plans are put on hold when fallen hero Konstantin starts acting dangerously. Bryn loved him once, but now he's kidnapping Kanin children - stealing them from hidden placements within human families. She's sent to help stop him, but will she lose her heart in the process?"

My thoughts: Okay, first of all, I think this blurb takes things in a slightly misleading direction. There is not a huge focus on the romance, particularly within the first two books. It is there, but it didn't feel like the main part of Bryn's story. Her commitment and determination to becoming one of the elite guard, however, is strongly present, and I actually found myself enjoying how strong Bryn was.

Despite being an awesome character, Bryn did irritate me some of the time. To the point that I was just talking to the book saying 'what are you dooooingggggggg' and trying to reason out her decisions (it didn't always work). She fascinated me, but though I was fascinated, that doesn't mean I always liked her.

Ultimately I think what kept me coming back to these books is that I really wanted to know what was going to happen. There were so many twists and turns, political intrigue, kidnappings, action. As much as I tried to analyse the other characters, I had as much trouble as Bryn did figuring out who was trustworthy and who wasn't. I found some of the characters to be a little inconsistent at times, but mostly I loved reading about each one and Bryn's interactions with them.

Get ready for my review of Crystal Kingdom, the third and final book of the Kanin Chronicles, online tomorrow :)


I received review copies of these books from Pan Macmillan (thank you!)

You would like this book if: you like female characters who kick ass and take names, but also enjoy making spur-of-the-moment decisions.

Tea to drink while reading this book: The Kanin live in an icy area, and there was mention of blueberry tea, so I would recommend something blueberry or elderberry related :3

Rating:  7/10 and 8/10 respectively.

If you'd like to keep up to date with what I'm reading, follow me on Goodreads here!

0 whisperings:

Post a Comment

All content owned by Bethwyn Walker unless otherwise stated. Powered by Blogger.

books | chronic illness | lifestyle | wellbeing

Powered by Blogger.
Back to Top