{2015} April Reading

Friday, May 1, 2015
Goodness, is it really May? I just... everything is happening so quickly!

still one of my favourite reading locations...


Books bought/received:
~ The Catalyst by Helena Coggan (review)
~ Ms. Marvel volume one: No Normal by G. Willow Wilson (gift)
~ Rat Queens volume one: Sass and Sorcery by Kurtis J. Webe
~ The Assassin's Blade (Throne of Glass Novellas #0.1 to 0.5) by Sarah J. Maas
~ Crown of Midnight (Throne of Glass #2) by Sarah J. Maas
~ Heir of Fire (Throne of Glass #3) by Sarah J. Maas
~ By the Book: A Reader's Guide to Life by Ramona Koval
~ Rumor Has It (Animal Magnetism #4) by Jill Shalvis (ebook)
~ Dragonfly in Amber (Outlander #2) by Diana Gabaldon

Books read:
~ Ms. Marvel volume one: No Normal by G. Willow Wilson
~ Rat Queens volume one: Sass and Sorcery by Kurtis J. Wiebe
~ Throne of Glass (Throne of Glass #1) by Sarah J. Maas
~ A Court of Thorns and Roses (A Court of Thorns and Roses #1) by Sarah J. Maas
~ By the Book: A Reader's Guide to Life by Ramona Koval
~ Rumor Has It (Animal Magnetism #4) by Jill Shalvis
~ The Assassin's Blade (Throne of Glass Novellas #0.1 to 0.5) by Sarah J. Maas
~ The DUFF: Designated Ugly Fat Friend by Kody Keplinger
~ Cross Stitch (Outlander #1) by Diana Gabaldon

Oh man, the system kind of broke down this month. I just bought books whenever I felt like it, only talking myself out of it once or twice. To be honest, looking back, its been a bit of a rough month for my health, and so I guess I got into a mood of just spoiling myself because I felt I needed it. That happens sometimes, and I don't feel super apologetic about it, but I am determined to get some more of the unread books on my shelves read. Just have to get back on the wagon, I suppose!

Anyway, on to what I read this month. I started the month with a couple of comic collections, Ms Marvel vol. 1 and Rat Queens vol.1. I went shopping with my dear internet friend Katharine when we met for the first time in person during Swancon, and I took her to my favourite comic shop. I wasn't very vigilant in watching her and she sneakily bought me Ms Marvel (thank youuu!) and I read and quite enjoyed it. 
Rat Queens is something I have wanted for a while and when I finally got my hands on it, I was not disappointed. The characters in this are just so amazing, with such an interesting storyline. I can't wait for the next installment.

Now, onto the novels. Throne of Glass. I tried to read this back when I first bought it, and I actually had a bit of trouble feeling close to Celaena (the main character) and so I put it down. Recently, though, as part of investigating my library's ebook-lending service, I started reading it again and ended up enjoying it (and finishing it!). I then went out and bought all the other books currently out, including the book of novellas, as they were going for a very reasonable price at the time from Dymocks. I did end up finishing The Assassin's Blade, the book of novellas, and I actually found that more enjoyable than Throne of Glass, but I do feel like the books will get better as they go on!
In addition to the Throne of Glass books, I was very excited to read A Court of Thorns and Roses, which is also written by Maas. I really enjoyed this one! I am very excited for more books in this series already, even though I think it isn't actually released yet in some places! It is a wonderful blend of fae and human issues, a fabulous re-writing of the Beauty and the Beast tale, and with a strong, stubborn, cynical main character, to boot. I loved it.

Speaking of cynical main characters, I was convinced by my partner Xin that the DUFF might be something worth my time after he went and saw the movie. It was a fast read, done in about 24 hours, and I actually appreciated the differing view of high school to what you normally get in YA Contemporary fare. There was slut-shaming in this one, but it was done in such a way that the main character noticed it, questioned it, and ultimately comes to a conclusion about the pointlessness of such behaviour. Very interesting and an enjoyable read that I am still thinking about.

Let's see, what else did I read? By the Book was something I picked up while in Canberra for the Aurealis Awards to read on the plane back, as I was getting close to finishing Court of Thorns and Roses at that time. By the Book basically takes a broad look at Ramona Koval's life in reading, and I thoroughly enjoyed it, as I am likely to enjoy any and all books written about someone's reading habits. I have a bit of a collection of these kinds of books now, and I was happy to add this one to the shelf.

My Jill Shalvis reading has continued on, though not at the breakneck speed of February. This instalment was very cute and I appreciate the small personality quirks of the main female character, and the knowledge of migraines that came into play for the male character. It was a smutty romance, and I loved it. Thinking about continuing on with this series soon.

And finally! I had a craving something fierce for something of a Scottish tone, and my mum had been reading/watching Outlander lately, so I picked up the first book in the series, Cross Stitch (though I believe reprints have been renamed 'Outlander' so that people can know for sure which book is first). Man this book is a chunker! At almost 900 pages I wondered at the start what I had gotten myself into and I confess that at the time of writing I am actually still reading this one, but will be finishing it soon. And I love it! I find the writing so immersive and, while the book is super long, I have enjoyed every moment of being in this story. And some moments are so damn cute, so that's a win in my book.

I am hoping to head back into reading stuff that's on my shelves during May, and try and get back on that wagon, but having said that there are quite a few things I want to get into, plus books that have been sitting on my currently-reading shelf on Goodreads that have not really been read in a while...

What are you reading at the moment?

0 whisperings:

Post a Comment

All content owned by Bethwyn Walker unless otherwise stated. Powered by Blogger.

books | chronic illness | lifestyle | wellbeing

Powered by Blogger.
Back to Top