{2014} May Reading

Sunday, June 1, 2014
Books bought:
~ American Born Chinese by Gene Luen Yang
~ Saga vol.1, 2, and 3
~ Just Listen by Sarah Dessen
~ Deep Blue by Jennifer Donnelly

Books received:
~ Zita the Spacegirl, Legends of Zita the Spacegirl, and The Return of Zita the Spacegirl by Ben Hatke (received from First Second Books)
~ Demon Child by Kylie Chan (received from HarperCollins)
~ The Caller by Juliet Marillier (received from Pan Macmillan)

Books read:
~ Attachments by Rainbow Rowell
~ Toyo by Lily Chan
~ Kiss of Steel by Bec McMaster
~ Alliance Forged by Kylie Griffin
~ The Eternal Smile by Gene Luen Yang and Derek Kirk Kim
~ Saga volume one, by Brian K. Vaughan and Fiona Staples
~ Death and the Penguin by Andrey Kurkov
~ Demon Child by Kylie Chan
~ Saga volume two
~ Saga volume three
~ Along for the Ride by Sarah Dessen
~ Zita the Spacegirl
~ Legends of Zita the Spacegirl
~ The Return of Zita the Spacegirl by Ben Hatke
~ High School Debut (omnibus edition vol 1-3) by Kazune Kawahara
~ The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight by Jennifer E. Smith
~ Just Listen by Sarah Dessen
~ Sabriel by Garth Nix

Phew! I threw myself into reading this month and made the decision at the start of the month to get through some things that had been sitting on my shelf for some time. To be honest, there were quite a few books that I started this month and then abandoned - all of them from my shelves. I finally got around to reading some stuff that was sitting there, and realised I didn't like them... so they were donated to an op shop so they can head to a new home where they will be loved.

This month seems to have had about three different themes - books on my shelf that needed to be read, graphic novels, and contemporary young adult fiction. Quite a spread, really, and I really enjoyed a lot of it! I know that sometimes people have issues with contemporary YA - it can be quite samey sometimes. But that is exactly what I was craving towards the end of the month. I had heard a few booktubers talking about Sarah Dessen and decided to give her a go, and I was glad I did. Along for the Ride and Just Listen were precisely the gentle but engrossing fiction I needed to balance against all the graphic novels, and the small amount of fantasy that snuck in this month.

I absolutely adore Saga and every chapter surprises me and makes me want more - I've started raving about it to anyone who will listen. I've already gotten Xin to read it and have now lent it to my brother. Honestly, if you like fantasy graphic novels with a little bit of violence and some crazy adult themes, with awesome characters and an amazing plot line, definitely give Saga a go. I can't wait for volume four.

I am still working on the Abhorsen books by Garth Nix - I'm reading them with my friend Katharine so we can be prepared for the fourth book this year. I'm also working on The Caller by Juliet Marillier, so keep an eye out for a review soon! What are you reading?

2 comments:

  1. I just read all of Saga last night :D The last bit of Vol 3 was sad :( I think the cat getting injured got to me the most (other than a certain other adult), as I always get a bit sad over animals being injured. Even if they are alien animals!

    I'm reading for the Hugo awards and cleared out the comics last night, and reading Lirael with you :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know!! And Lying Cat, man... He's just awesome.

      Yay! :D I feel like I'm not reading as much this week....for obvious reasons... but I'm getting there!

      Delete

All content owned by Bethwyn Walker unless otherwise stated. Powered by Blogger.

books | chronic illness | lifestyle | wellbeing

Powered by Blogger.
Back to Top