Book Review: Zita the Spacegirl, Legends of Zita the Spacegirl, and The Return of Zita the Spacegirl

Monday, May 26, 2014
I love reading. Books are amazing. They are a form of escapism, yes, but they are also inspiration, joy, and... well. Goodness. I think in some ways I have used my appetite for reading to define parts of my personality, so it made sense for me to review some of what I read! Here we go...



Titles: Zita the Spacegirl, Legends of Zita the Spacegirl, and The Return of Zita the Spacegirl
Author: Ben Hatke
Series: Books one, two, and three of the same series (completed)

Synopsis for book one: "Zita's life took a cosmic left-turn in the blink of an eye.
When her best friend is kidnapped by an alien doomsday cult, Zita leaps to the rescue and finds herself a strange on a strange planet. Humanoid chickens and neurotic robots are shocking enough as new experiences go, but Zita is even more surprised to find herself taking on the role of intergalactic hero. Before long, aliens in all shapes and sizes don't even phase her. Neither do ancient prophesies, doomed planets, or even a friendly con man who takes a mysterious interest in Zita's quest.
Zita the spacegirl is a fun, captivating tale of friendship and redemption from Flight veteran Ben Hatke. It also has more whimsical, eye-catching, Miyazaki-esque monsters than you can shake a stick at."

My thoughts: I have been wanting to read these books for a while, and now I finally have my hands on them. And, yes, it was definitely worth it.
Hatke manages to inject so much personality into the most bizarre of creatures - and even make you love them or laugh out loud at the things they say. I found myself giggling quite a few times while reading these books, and I also felt like a little girl again - discovering the wonderful world of graphic novels once more and being able to do that with a kick-ass female protagonist. so. very. awesome.

I really don't want to give anything away, but please know that these books are worth a read if you can get your hands on them. I love Hatke's style - his artwork manages to be both childlike with whimsy, whilst also still having panels that makes you stop and examine everything. And, seriously - kick-ass female protagonist. (cheers of delight)

You would like this book if: you like quirky characters with a strange sense of humour; you love amazing adventures.

Rating overall:  9/10

If you'd like to keep up to date with what I'm reading, follow me on Goodreads here!

0 whisperings:

Post a Comment

All content owned by Bethwyn Walker unless otherwise stated. Powered by Blogger.

books | chronic illness | lifestyle | wellbeing

Powered by Blogger.
Back to Top