Book Review: Going Postal by Terry Pratchett

Wednesday, January 29, 2014
I love reading. Books are amazing. They are a form of escapism, yes, but they are also inspiration, joy, and... well. Goodness. I think in some ways I have used my appetite for reading to define parts of my personality, so it made sense for me to review some of what I read! Here we go...



Title: Going Postal
Author: Terry Pratchett
Series: #33 in the Discworld books

Synopsis: "Moist von Lipwig is a con artist...

...and a fraud and a man faced with a life choice: be hanged, or put Ankh-Morpork's ailing postal service back on its feet.
It's a tough decision.

But he's got to see that the mail gets through, come rain, hail, sleet, dogs, the Post Office Workers' Friendly and Benevolent Society, the evil chairman of the Grand Trunk Semaphore Company, and a midnight killer.

Getting a date with Adore Bell Dearheart would be nice, too."

My thoughts: This book is the first on in my challenge for this year, and comes recommended by my brother who is a huge Terry Pratchett fan. (To be honest, I expected him to recommend a Pratchett book :P)

I have read another Discworld book before, and I remember enjoying it, but on the whole feeling a little underwhelmed with all of it after my brother had talked it up so much. With Going Postal, I felt similarly. The writing style is good, and I did find myself laughing every now and then, but ultimately I felt like Pratchett was just a bit too cynical and dry at times for his own good. I know people that would love this book for that very reason, so I believe it's just my own personal brand of humour that makes me feel slightly distant from this kind of writing.
The characters were interesting and the storyline was good, but I also felt like it moved along a little slowly - paragraphs of text were dedicated to making observations about people. For me this didn't work very well.
So I guess, to sum up, I enjoyed it, but it wouldn't go on my top five list :)

You would like this book if: you enjoy cynical, dry humour; you want some awesome postal action.

Rating:  7/10

If you'd like to keep up to date with what I'm reading, follow me on Goodreads here!

0 whisperings:

Post a Comment

All content owned by Bethwyn Walker unless otherwise stated. Powered by Blogger.

books | chronic illness | lifestyle | wellbeing

Powered by Blogger.
Back to Top