Book Review: Obsidian by Jennifer L. Armentrout

Wednesday, October 2, 2013
I love reading. Books are amazing. They are a form of escapism, yes, but they are also inspiration, joy, and... well. Goodness. I think in some ways I have used my appetite for reading to define parts of my personality, so it made sense for me to review some of what I read! Here we go...


Title: Obsidian
Author: Jennifer L. Armentrout
Series: Lux Book #1

Synopsis: "Starting over sucks.

When we moved to West Virginia right before my senior year, I'd pretty much resigned myself to thick accents, dodgy internet access, and a whole lot of boring.... until I spotted my hot neighbor, with his looming height and eerie green eyes. Things were looking up.

And then he opened his mouth.

Daemon is infuriating. Arrogant. Stab-worthy. We do not get along. At all. But when a stranger attacks me and Daemon literally freezes time with a wave of his hand, well, something...unexpected happens. 

The hot alien living next door marks me.

You heard me. Alien. Turns out Daemon and his sister have a galaxy of enemies wanting to steal their abilities, and Daemon's touch has me lit up like the Vegas Strip. The only way I'm getting out of this alive is by sticking close to Daemon until my alien mojo fades. 
If I don't kill him first, that is."

My thoughts: I picked this book up on my Kindle because of another booktuber (Katytastic, the first booktuber I started following) ranting and raving about the addictiveness of this series. And also, I was in a bit of a slump with what I had been reading at the time.

The first time I picked this up, I liked the main character - Katy - for many reasons, but mainly because she fangirls over books a lot (something I can quite readily relate to). But I got a bit bored. I don't know why, really, but the plot just didn't grab me initially.

The second time I picked it up and continued on, I ended up staying up late into the night reading this. I found it quite addictive, and I haven't really had that in awhile. Katy is an interesting and easy character (by 'easy' I mean fairly easy to sit with and follow), and Daemon remains confusing but also hot for much of the book.

Occasionally the relationship between Katy and Daemon really pissed me off, but I don't think that was because it was poorly written - in fact, I think it was because I felt the tension between them and I felt their frustration. Either way, it made me keep reading  - even if to just to find out whether they finally actually DO SOMETHING.

By no means a great piece of literary work, Obsidian is a great example of books that keep me interested in reading. It didn't make me feel like I had to trudge through mud to understand the characters, and it didn't raise any great philosophical questions within me, but it made me happy and it was addictive. So I loved it.

You would like this book if: you enjoy paranormal romance; you feel like a bit of addictive sexual tension between two frustrating characters.

Rating:  8/10

If you'd like to keep up to date with what I'm reading, follow me on Goodreads here!

2 comments:

  1. Mmmmm addictive sexual tension <3
    Reminds me kind of Clary and Jace in books 2 and 3 of the Mortal Instruments series!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kind of, except in this book Diamon is more of a jerk than Jace is. He is very good at being a jerk XD

      Delete

All content owned by Bethwyn Walker unless otherwise stated. Powered by Blogger.

books | chronic illness | lifestyle | wellbeing

Powered by Blogger.
Back to Top