Book Review: The Bone Season by Samantha Shannon

Sunday, October 6, 2013
I love reading. Books are amazing. They are a form of escapism, yes, but they are also inspiration, joy, and... well. Goodness. I think in some ways I have used my appetite for reading to define parts of my personality, so it made sense for me to review some of what I read! Here we go...




Title: The Bone Season
Author: Samantha Shannon
Series: First book in an ongoing series with the same name.

Synopsis: "SCION. No safer place.
The year is 2059.
Nineteen-year-old Paige Mahoney is working in the criminal underworld of Scion London, based at Seven Dials, employed by a man named Jaxon Hall. Her job: to scout for information by breaking into people's minds. For Paige is a dreamwalker, a clairvoyant - and in her world, the world of Scion, she commits treason simply by breathing.

But outside the repressive boundaries of Scion, a powerful, otherworldly race waits in the shadows. The season has come and Paige's life is about to change for ever."

My thoughts: Okay, so the first thing I need to say about this book is - man, that was a bit complex.
Don't get me wrong, it was very well-written, but there were just so many new names and groups and item names that I had to learn and, honestly, given the state of my brain this week, I'm just not sure I was up to it.
But the world that Samantha Shannon has created here is indeed interesting, and I felt myself being drawn to it despite the complexity of it's inner workings.
The main character, Paige, is equally complex, but that sits well with a character that, at her base, must hide who she is to survive. She must even lie to her father about her true nature, and that lends itself to a certain darkness of character.
I have to admit, though, that during the course of the book I got frustrated with Paige. I actually found myself at one point exclaiming out loud about her stupidity in one scene, only to keep reading so I could find out what happened.
This was a book that I only realised I loved after I had finished it. It was a bit of a struggle to read at times, but by the end I was glad I had read it and I am excited to see what's in store for the next book.
Plus, young writer with complex fantasy series - I'm listening.

You would like this book if: You like some dark fantasy; you enjoy exclaiming aloud while reading and continually flipping to the glossary to understand what group said what to that other group.

Rating: 8/10

If you'd like to keep up to date with what I'm reading, follow me on Goodreads here!

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like Game of Thrones in terms of complexity, and Isabelle Carmody's Obernewtyn chronicles in terms of content!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha I wouldn't know given that I've finished neither! XD

      Delete

All content owned by Bethwyn Walker unless otherwise stated. Powered by Blogger.

books | chronic illness | lifestyle | wellbeing

Powered by Blogger.
Back to Top