Reading challenges and research for stories.

Sunday, June 30, 2013
Bronte says hello!

Towards the end of last year I announced that I was going to read the top ten Australian books as voted on the First Tuesday Book Club website (see it here). Over the weeks following that announcement, I managed to read book 10 (Picnic at Hanging Rock), and then attempt to read book nine (The Secret River) and eight (The Slap) - eventually abandoning each for different reasons.

At this point, I can't say for sure if I will ever go back to reading them, or finishing the list. There are a few on the list that I would like to try (The Book Thief and Jasper Jones), but I feel no great desire to prove to myself that I can read Australian literature. One of my favourite fantasy writers is Australian (Juliet Marillier). Then again, a writer or a book can become a favourite for me not because it is written by someone of a particular background or location, but because it is written WELL and because I enjoy it. 

I guess what I'm saying is, I don't feel the need to complete this challenge any more. I did enjoy Picnic at Hanging Rock, and I discovered where my limitations lie when it comes to books tackling difficult issues. I got a lot out of the challenge even though (perhaps because) I didn't finish it.

In other news, I've been having some awesome ideas for stories, and for directions that my current work can go in. I'm also entertaining the idea of setting up a poll for people to dictate the way a certain story goes (like playing a text-based game) on my blog. I think I need to reach a few more readers, first, but I will start putting out some feelers on facebook to see what I can find. :)

As for the other stories, I am excitedly acquiring books and other information to help me with my writing. I have to say that research is one of my favourite parts of writing - particularly because in my own projects I can write about things I'm interested in!!

That's all for now, folks, but I will be back next week with another book review. Love to all who read!

0 whisperings:

Post a Comment

All content owned by Bethwyn Walker unless otherwise stated. Powered by Blogger.

books | chronic illness | lifestyle | wellbeing

Powered by Blogger.
Back to Top