Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Book Review: The Fault in Our Stars by John Green

I love reading. Books are amazing. They are a form of escapism, yes, but they are also inspiration, joy, and... well. Goodness. I think in some ways I have used my appetite for reading to define parts of my personality, so it made sense for me to review some of what I read! Here we go...




Title: The Fault in Our Stars
Author: John Green

Synopsis: "Despite the tumour-shrinking medical miracle that has bought her a few years, Hazel has never been anything but terminal, her final chapter inscribed upon her diagnosis. But when a gorgeous plot twist named Augustus Waters suddenly appears at Cancer Kid Support Group, Hazel's story is about to be completely rewritten."

My thoughts: Straight up, I have to say that this is not a book I would normally have picked up. I hadn't even heard of John Green before a friend mentioned him to me, and then subsequently sent me a copy of this book (thank you so much!).
I don't often read books about cancer patients, or wars, or anything that makes me feel immediately sad about the state of the world. After reading this book, I have realised how that view is so very naive and not something I wish to indulge in any more (though I completely understand anyone else wanting to continue on in that way).
This book blew me away. From when I was first introduced to Hazel, I found her to be someone I could understand, someone I could relate to - even though I have never had cancer. I find it strange to write about relating to someone with a terminal illness, but there were similarities between the way Hazel dealt with things and the way I deal with my chronic illness, and so I warmed to her. Augustus and Hazel have such interesting, intelligent, and witty conversations and, despite their young age - or perhaps because of it - I felt their emotions as strongly and vividly as if they were my own.
Look, I honestly don't want to spoil the reading of this book for anyone. I do not want to give away very much at all, because I feel that so much of it is integral to the ending. You can see in the blurb that the story isn't going to be happy-happy-sunshine-daisies all the way through, but John Green's writing in this book just pulls you in and shows you the lives of these characters in such a raw way.

I will admit that by the end of the book, I was sobbing. And, while I may be an emotional person overall, books don't often make me cry. So I think that says a lot for how invested I was in the lives of these characters, and how well John Green can tap into my heart-strings here. Because I don't want to give away much, I won't say anything more, but I would definitely recommend this book to everyone and anyone. Honestly.

You would like this book if: You like unconventional teenage romance; you love a good read that can rewrite the way you see the world.

Rating: 10/10

If you'd like to keep up to date with what I'm reading, follow me on Goodreads here!

6 comments:

  1. 10/10! Wowsers baby! I'd better get reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha well we're reading it together again, so that's fine :D <3

      Delete
  2. I'm so glad you loved it!!
    (Ps: Not sure if you saw this: http://zenpencils.com/comic/119-john-green-make-gifts-for-people/)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! XD
      I DID. I was so surprised. Pretty sure the Universe is pushing me towards John Green? Idk. XD

      Delete

All content owned by Bethwyn Walker unless otherwise stated. Simple theme. Theme images by gaffera. Powered by Blogger.

creating a place where rest and rejuvenation are paramount