armchair musings

Sunday, September 2, 2012
I don't know if this will become a regular post, but I am sitting in an armchair typing out some thoughts that have been in my head lately. Perhaps I will make it more regular.

my post yesterday on why I write and then going to a concert last night with Xin have got me thinking a bit more about writing.
to be honest, I don't write stories down as much as I used to. I spend more time blogging, thinking, reading, journalling. Actual writing doesn't often occur. But when it does, I usually feel very inspired and attached to finishing the story. And yet, I don't think I have ever finished a story to my satisfaction. Maybe short stories and poems. But not a novel.
I have been wondering why this is. Part of me believes it's not having enough self-discipline. Another defends me by saying that my health doesn't often allow for extended writing times. Another voice says it's because I don't have enough confidence in my writing - that I fear failing too much. I fear that I will finally put my writing out there only to find it's not good enough.

I know the recommendations - just keep writing, writing can be amazing if you just keep going, you need to be more dedicated to your writing, you need to find the story that truly speaks to you so you're DRIVEN to finish it - etc. etc.

Either way, I'm going to keep writing. Because I can't deny the pull towards it.

1 comment:

  1. I love the title of the post.

    Darling, I want you to be happy. I'm glad you know all the advice already, but perhaps someone in a similar situation or who has dealt with the same issues might be able to provide you with some unique insight? Maybe try talking to some established writers or people struggling with their own work? Ily.

    ReplyDelete

All content owned by Bethwyn Walker unless otherwise stated. Powered by Blogger.

books | chronic illness | lifestyle | wellbeing

Powered by Blogger.
Back to Top