Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Facebook withdrawals #3

It's been about two months since I deleted Facebook. And tonight is the firs time I have genuinely missed the connection that I had on there.
I miss specific people that I basically said goodbye to when I left - there was either no other way to contact them, or there was a way that was not desirable to the other party.
Honestly, though, there's only so many emails I can keep up with anyway, so I understand their choice.

I have been taking some time to reassess the way I look at friendships and what I expect. I was calm for some time... But then waves of emotion are never far away. I need to get better at weather-watching.

Love to all who read <3

3 comments:

  1. It's hard to "cut ties" with people you've no reason to cut them with. It's why I can't delete my Facebook, as much as I'd love to. If I did that I'd realise how alone I really am, and that scares me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In many ways, a lot of that is happening. I am feeling cut off and lonely. But at the same time... so many positive changes are happening. I feel free, more capable, I have more of an attention span (XD) and I feel more able of making real and genuine connections with people. I'm also spending a lot of time with me, which is alternately awesome and difficult :3

      I think it's a bit of a mixed bag.

      Delete
  2. While I was at training last night, Kancho asked the class if everyone's voted on facebook for a preferred date for the gashuku. I said I had not, and he looked at me incredulously (or so I thought). "But you're on facebook every day! Ten times a day!" I felt a little wounded at this remark, as I spent a week with the kids without feeling the inclination to check facebook once, but afterwards I realised he was quite right- I do make many posts, I do check it many times a day. What do I get out of it? Not very much. What do I give to it? Far too much.

    I think I'd like to stop using facebook to read about others or post about myself. I won't deactivate it, so I can still see when people invite me to events or wish to get in contact with me, but I don't think I'm getting much out of it anymore. I think you definitely went the right way when you chose to deactivate your account.

    ReplyDelete

All content owned by Bethwyn Walker unless otherwise stated. Simple theme. Theme images by gaffera. Powered by Blogger.

creating a place where rest and rejuvenation are paramount