My main tactics:
- acknowledging that the stress is there - that's pretty important for me. If I don't acknowledge that I'm stressed then it's like I have to keep going and going and going until I drop. Which doesn't work well for me.
- thinking about why I'm stressed - in terms of this, I don't mean wallowing in it and allowing myself to get even more stressed, I mean consciously taking note of the things that are making me stressed, and also realising that it may not be what is just in front of me - it could be that I'm feeling a bit sick, or that I need a snack, or maybe it's just because my hormones are going crazy! Just realising that it could be something else takes me out of the situation.
- trying things that bring me happiness - reading blogs I like, journalling, drinking tea, holding a crystal, talking to someone I love, or even just checking my private emails can make me feel better.
- breathing. focusing on the breath is SO important to me. If I bring my attention to my breath, it's suddenly so much easier to get through things.
- going for a walk - this is a bit harder now that it's been raining so much, but it's definitely something that still helps.
- listening to music - this should have been earlier, but the thing is that music is a huge thing to me. it can alter my mood so significantly. I can be perfectly happy and then I listen to a song that tugs at my heartstrings and suddenly it's like I can't stop crying. So picking the RIGHT music is big for me.
- reading - <3 <3 <3
that's all from me for now. I'm hoping to keep coping with the stress until semester finishes - I'm only going to do two units next semester instead of three which means yay! but hopefully I'll do well enough otherwise :)
love to all who read. <3