{2014} March Reading

Wednesday, April 2, 2014
I decided at the end of last year that I wanted to start writing a blog at the end of each month just talking about what I'd read that month, etc., in the style of Nick Hornby. Hornby has put out a few books that combine his columns for The Believer magazine, and I love his style and how it gives him a chance to get his thoughts together. It's also an excellent way to look back and notice how much has been spent on books! So that's what I will plan to do... wish me luck!

This particular blog was also inspired by Katharine because reading her March post reminded me that I wanted to do something similar!

Books bought:
~Pre-ordered 'Dreams of Gods and Monsters by Laini Taylor very early in the month... otherwise nothing, because I spent so much on books in February....

Books acquired:
~The Cracks in the Kingdom by Jaclyn Moriarty (from Pan Macmillan)
~Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell (from Pan Macmillan)
~IDEA33 by Sheala Dawn Henke (from the author)

Books read:
~Peacemaker by Marianne de Pierres
~The Cuckoo's Calling by Robert Galbraith
~The Cracks in the Kingdom by Jaclyn Moriarty
~Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell
~Boxers by Gene Luen Yang
~Saints by Gene Luen Yang
~Cress by Marissa Meyer
~Percy Jackson and the Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan
~Percy Jackson and the Sea of Monsters by Rick Riordan
~Percy Jackson and the Titan's Curse by Rick Riordan

some books that I read in March...


Despite my list actually looking pretty good all written out like that (isn't it pretty?), I was actually in a slump for most of this month, and found myself pushing through things even though, in any other circumstances, I would have been ripping through them. Don't get me wrong, I could see the quality of the writing and the wonderful world-building - particularly in the Percy Jackson series and Cress - but I just wasn't....'feeling it'.

This could have been because of my operation and the resulting fall-out, but either way it was happening and it made things a little difficult.

Fangirl was the stand-out for this month - it was the one book that I absolutely disappeared into, which was surprising given that it was one of the few that wasn't deeply entrenched in fantasy - which is what I'm used to adoring. I just wanted to climb inside the world of Fangirl and be friends with the people in there, and I keep finding myself looking wistfully up at it on my shelf, wishing that I could read it again with a clean slate, as if I hadn't read it before during my recovery (or, you know, just read it again in general...).

I'd like to say that the Boxers and Saints graphic novels sent me on a research frenzy looking into the Boxers rebellion and becoming really educated about it all, but what really resulted was me thinking about religion a little bit, then feeling amazed all over again at the artwork, and then feeling very happy that my brother had gotten me the boxset for my birthday.....and then moving onto Cress. I have a feeling I will go back to Boxers and Saints sometime to review my thoughts, and I will definitely be lending it to a few people, but right now I am just happy to have read it.

The Percy Jackson series has been a really good experience for me - despite still feeling like I'm forcing myself to read a bit. Each of the books is quite short by my standards, which I love as it means they are action-packed and I can read them quite quickly and restore myself to a feeling of accomplishment. I also love the characters in this and, while I haven't picked a favourite, I am a huge fan of Grover. He just really has such a wonderful presence in the books, and I actually adore how emotional he can be.

I feel pretty good about my reading this month, but also I have to mention something about my challenges for this year - I am failing abysmally. After finishing my brother's suggestion - Going Postal by Terry Pratchett - in January, I made a not-so-valiant effort to finish Glimpses of Unfamiliar Japan by Lafcadio Hearn in February (I got almost 40% of the way through the book....but I was IN JAPAN, so it seemed rather difficult...), and then made the smallest of attempts on The Signature of All Things by Elizabeth Gilbert in March.... So it's been a bit downhill since Jan, really. This month is my dad's pick - The World According to Garp by John Irving. I am unsure whether I will be reading it, but I would like to say I'm going to give it a go....so let's assume I'm saying that, shall we?

Onwards to more reading! Currently I am re-reading Daughter of Smoke and Bone by Laini Taylor, as my copy of the third book is on its way and I want to be prepared; and I have a few books to review coming up so I'm starting on them. Yay reading :D

0 whisperings:

Post a Comment

All content owned by Bethwyn Walker unless otherwise stated. Powered by Blogger.

books | chronic illness | lifestyle | wellbeing

Powered by Blogger.
Back to Top